Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 01:01:58
Page:  1 
What's holding you back? Started by: Utopia on Feb 18, '17 11:02

Utopia sat in his office in the Maniac Mansion pondering the free city project. He regularly spoke with his contacts in the city of Detroit, eager to hear about any developments with regards to new crime syndicates, although in recent times he had not heard any news in this respect. It certainly appeared that following initial activity when the project begun, things had slowed down. Despite having some suspicions, he decided that if he wanted to truly figure out why fewer members of La Cosa Nostra were setting up in the annexed cities, he should take this question to the Streets. Better yet, maybe potential new entrants to cities such as Detroit could publicly explain what is holding back their decision to move to the city. 

A few hours later, Utopia found himself addressing a small crowd. 

It has been almost a month since Godfather Bonkers announced the project to populate the "annexed" cities of Los Angeles, Detroit and Philly. We initially saw a flurry of activity as mafioso flooded into these cities looking to make it as crew leaders - although I think it is fair to say that this has slowed down considerably. 

I come to the Streets today out of curiosity, to ask why this is the case. Why in very recent times have fewer mafioso ventured out to set up operations in these cities? 

Utopia pauses for a few moments as he collects his thoughts.

In answer to this question, I think I can explain a large part of this with the fact that those bloodlines that wanted the opportunity to set up subject to the conditions described by the hierarchy of Las Vegas and Chicago have already done so. It is certainly true that a significant proportion of those interested in the project will have wanted to take on authorisation as soon as they had done what is considered the "minimum" time to be considered a Made member in this thing of ours. Having said that, I seriously don't believe everyone that wanted to set up will have had this attitude. If I put myself in the shoes of a potential entrant, I would personally have waited before making such a move in order to see who my future colleagues would be and to size up any potential enemies. For the most part, entrants of this nature have been very few in number, with (to my knowledge) none having entered a city by force. I have to admit, I've been surprised by that.

So where does that leave me? Well, perhaps one shock was the intervention made by my city in Detroit. The reasons for which have been well versed, and I shall avoid going into them. I wonder if the takedown of Angelina and co perhaps reminded those in the free cities that they aren't necessarily free - at least not to the same extent as leaders in the mother cities. Perhaps even, this reminded our more risk averse potential entrants of the dangers they faced if they were to do it alone. 

As much support as a crew leader might receive from within their ranks, at the end of the day they've got to be able to... lead. I wonder to what extent speeches made by FitzChivalry and Disorder have given a wake up call to those whose bloodlines have yet to take on the mantle of leadership. Have these discussions in The Streets discouraged bloodlines that would have perhaps unknowingly taken on a challenge they would have come to regret? 

At the end of the day, I would love to see the annexed cities one day become great powers in the underworld. I see many leaders that have been brilliant in taking advantage of this project, and others who I hope the favour system will give a wake up call to. I am interested in hearing perspectives on the recent cool down in demand for spots in the free cities, and I personally hope that talented mobsters will continue to take up spots in the free cities - if they're up to the challenge. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Noodles came upon a small gathering where a sharply dressed man was extolling the virtues of being a Crew Leader and the responsibilities entailed. He listened with interest as some very relevant points were raised.

He summoned up the courage to respond to the main question.

From the short time I've been on these shores I personally feel that in theory the initial excitement of being allowed to become a CL was not taken seriously enough by some. They rushed in as they wanted the kudos so they could always claim that they were a CL. To me this has diminished the rank somewhat.

He paused as he noticed that the small crowd were actually listening to him. He couldn't stop now he had to continue...

Furthermore the main problem in my eyes is there are just too many CL's for the amount of players. How many crews have a full complement of gangsters? We currently have 30 CL's yet only just over 500 crew members. Quite simply in practice this is where the original idea has fallen short as we have reached saturation point.

Noodles then straightened his tie and respectfully nodded to the crowd around him.

Report Post Tip

Shantelle had been among the small crowd gathered around the leader. She had been walking through the streets and thought this might be one of those times she would put in her two cents. She waited patiently until there was a bit of a lapse and began to speak.

Personally, I do not feel held back as I am very fond of my family. But I would like to take a moment to venture why others may be hesitant to hop into a bold suit so quick.

When at first this was broached across the country we did indeed see a flurry of people ready to don their suits, grab a keys to a local building in the annexed cities and get to work. Since then we have seen things that could make mafioso pause and for very good reason. Godfather Disorder has spoken about the importance of being a crew leader. What it means to take on such a huge responsibility. This is enough to make people really give themselves time to think if it is something they want to do, since it will be for life. This should slow people down, and make them think long and hard before jumping into something they may not truly be up for.

Another possibility is some of those have died for various reasons. There will always be a bit of fear in our community and sometimes it does slow things down. This may or may not also play into the factoring of donning the suit.

Another reason could be just as my own reasoning. People actually like the families they are in. They are content to remain where they are and learn all that they can from their own leader and city.

She paused momentarily trying to think if she had covered her own thoughts. Shrugging a little she continued.

There could be any number of reasons for this.

Report Post Tip

I must admit that this is a question I too have been pondering. Sometimes, I suppose, after the initial momentum of a few new ideas it is pretty easy to simply settle back into our comfy armchairs back at our established family's HQ's and not bother with taking a risk.

Now to the point raised by Noodles, I think that this is clearly one of our main issues - our community size does lack the ability to support fully sized families in all districts of all cities. But this is one of the key reasons that we have chosen to start up 10-man "street crews", rather than fully fledged families. There is clearly a downside risk to introducing lots of families - it makes them more difficult to fill. But there is also an upside - anyone can get their chance, but only those deserving of the role will stand out, gain favour and progress beyond a 10-man HQ.

I agree with Shantelle entirely. I think that a couple of deaths and the message delivered by Disorder (No more standing down) have reminded people that it is a serious role and you need to go into it 110% committed.

So what does that mean in my head - it means that anyone can set up, but right now anyone that really wants to already has. In other words, perhaps we haven't so much reached saturation as equilibrium for now. Times will change and so will the landscape...I guess we watch this space...

Report Post Tip

CS was delivering a freshly baked batch of cookies when she saw Utopia stand in front of a small crowd speaking of the annexed cities. This delivery can wait a little while, she thought to herself as she listened in on the conversation they were having.

"Like most people have already said, I believe part the reason is that we are almost 'filled up'. A lot of crews are hanging around at the moment - small and big - and we can see how people are progressing. Some may not have the courage at this point to step up; some may not have the time to lead and guide their members along the way; some may like the crew they are already in, as someone else already mentioned. 

I think that most of the people who wanted this, like you said yourself, stepped forward when the oppurtunity was there. I would have expected more people to try having this fancy bold suit after they specified the favour system and how it is built up. Apparently, it seems barely anyone has set up since then, and it surprises me."

If I put myself in the shoes of a potential entrant, I would personally have waited before making such a move in order to see who my future colleagues would be and to size up any potential enemies.

"As I have been here ever since I got my button, I must say that I never regretted setting up this early. Of course I had been in the city of Los Angeles for a couple of days before and knew some of my future colleagues beforehand. Even if I were to set up in another city, I would enjoy getting to know new people and working beside them no matter their past or anything else that could be troubling along the way. That is kinda part of the ride and sometimes very unpredictable, as some of us have already seen. 

Nonetheless, I do enjoy working alongside with all of these beautiful people here in LA, and with this weather you cannot really complain."

CS was actually gonna offer a glass of milk for those who wanted it, but by the time she poured it she could feel how hot it had become. Therefore, she decided to drink it herself and slowly moved on with the delivery. 

Report Post Tip

Wandering out, he looked around, As someone who could use this thing to further himself in rank, to some it maybe an opportunity of a lifetime. To me i look at it on a few different levels the first of course being do i put in enough time and effort to deserve or run a crew? for now that is no; do i have enough people around who i would use as my structure; no.  We could also look at  Risk v Reward, How much am i likely to gain vs what i would lose? In my current situation more than if i ranked in spurts in a family.  Just like the units add up over time, the days too also when i can work a little harder then maybe re-think the position i am in.   Sure tribute helps with members but also is costs of the HQ, forts etc which i can put into bodyguards here instead.

I think sometimes is hard just sitting down, thinking things over as these opportunities do not come around all the time.  I know it would be a great feeling to set up. but sometimes is better to take the time, build up some strength and build up connections and a base to build power from and know your heart and mind are fully in it not some half hearted effort.  The fact is when have to watch, teach, help members and pounce on problems straight away, no good if only around a few hours a day at most.

Report Post Tip

Taking his turn at the head of the gathered crowd Gabriel address those with his thoughts on why people are holding back.

"Greetings to all those gathered. I would like to give you my thoughts on the question that Utopia has asked. I believe that of course there are always a number of different reasons and some of them have already been brushed upon. After all there is only so many mobsters coming into this land at the moment. Also the majority of buttoned men and women of course, that wanted to take the plunge, have already done so"

"Now this next reason why I think no one else it stepping up, is possible and I'm not certain here but when the announcement first came to our streets. It was stated that LV was in charge of LA, CH for DT and NY for PH. Has this a impact? I know when my former Crew Leader set-up she was from LV at the time so felt that she had to ask @FitzChivary for a spot in LA. Can we can pick whichever city we would like to set-up in?"

"If this is so then perhaps Bonkers you need to make CH less inviting to live in, then they may flock to DT! Of course I'm not seriously recommending that you do that or that you would listen to me and do that.."

"Well I thank you for listening"

Report Post Tip

After having heard what was said oRagnar decides to share his own opinion regarding this matter. He stands up and goes on to say :

One of the reasons , i correct the main reason to me i think is the "What if" question. This little sucker is what has drawn back a lot of people for a long time now. There will never be a right time when you are fully ready, things will always happen and plans always get ruined. So i say this to any mobster out there who wants to seize this opportunity to step forward. If you succed you will be praised, if not you can always try again. You wont be ashamed or "Blood eagle-d", not so sure about the second though! 

Money - This will play a big role but i started "Valhalla" by taking a loan and with work and some great members managed to get back on track and make lots of it and is not a big problem at the moment so it's not something to worry a lot.

Not a lot of people out there to recruit - There will always be new blood which comes to our shores and it is our duty to make them follow "on the other side of the law" path and must do a good dang work, so this shouldnt be used as an excuse also.

Favour - Everyone wants to start big, i did also but found this system to work out for the better as it didnt crumble the work put in and helped me get a better knowledge of my members and with time you get better and will not have to deal with everything at the same time. Step by step but make them solid ones! 

I believe everyone has a leader side to themselves, you only need to build it up.

That is all i had to say but ive barely covered the whole but i hope this helps someone out there aspiring to fill up the bold suit. I would like to thank you for your time !

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What's holding you back?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL