Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 27 - 02:12:22
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 [ > - >>> ]
No More Stepping Down Started by: Disorder on Feb 07, '17 23:21

After finding a suitable vantage point, Disorder sends a few heavies into the crowd to get a serviceable level of quiet and attention. When all was ready he spoke up.

"I come here today with a message for everyone...

There will be no more stepping down.

A murmur rippled round the crowd. When it had settled he went on.

"The role of leadership is a very serious one. For a long time now it has been undermined by people being allowed to set up, decide they didn't really fancy it after all and step down a few weeks later. This has resulted in some truly shoddy examples of leadership and it is not acceptable behavior. We feel that the role of Crew Leader is a sacred one. To head your own family is a huge undertaking with an enormous impact on the lives of those in your care. It is not a decision to be taken on a whim and the seriousness of that decision is to be cemented by this ruling.

From now on, the only way a leadership will end, will be with retirement or a bullet. If you want to become a Crew leader, you'd better be fucking serious about it! Think long and hard about the severity of the commitment. The workload. The dedication. The long term nature of it. It will be your life until your life ends, so make damn sure you are prepared!"

Allowing everyone a moment to absorb the news, he goes on to make some practical comments.

"We appreciate that this is a significant change to existing thinking. Therefore there will be a one week amnesty, for anyone who wishes to step down from their current leadership position. There will be no stigma attached to such a move. Indeed the strength of character to make such a call for the long term futures of your members, will yield respect it deserves. One week will be ample time to properly consider your position and make a decision on your future.

After this week has ended, anyone who remains bold, will stay that way until death relieves them of their duty. If you are still wearing that suit in seven days, that's you, period.

Anyone about to embark on a role as a Crew Leader. You make your decision before you start. Think very carefully. You have been warned."

Taking a step back he nods to a guard who affixes a sign to the noticeboard reiterating the points made in his speech. 

Report Post Tips: 5 / Total: $340,000 Tip

As his words echoed the street Kate listened intently as Godfather Disorder spoke stern and clear to get his point across when he was finished Kate took a step up to voice her own opinion on the matter.

"I think you hit the nail on the head that leadership is something very serious as you are looking out not only for your own life but the lives of those within your crew district and ultimately city. As I've read through the journals of my ancestors it has shown times where leaders have stepped down and the transition to setting up shop again was sloppy and it lead to lives being lost."

Kate took a short breath before beginning her speech again.

"I am all for this change as Leaders you are to set to a high standard and are to show everyone in this thing of ours how to conduct themselves and if they are allowed to just drop commitments barring things do come up but that is no excuse that only leads to others putting in a sub par effort. Like marriage til death do us part if you break that commitment there is consequences and the price paid will be hefty lets see if the leaders of current do , who will rise and stand strong  or have the winds of change knock them down. Either way this will add an interesting dynamic over the next little while I am all for it , thank you for the announcement Godfather Disorder."

Kate quickly embraced Disorder in a hug before running off to attend to some business.

Report Post Tip

Philip speaks up after hearing the news he already knew was coming a few days prior.

I couldn't agree more, if people are going to step up to act as a leader for their city and district then they should act like one. Stepping down a few days later because it's not for you or you no longer wish to pursue the job you were so determined to sign up for shows that you are anything but a leader. If anything, you only cause further problems for your city and you basically put the message out on the streets that you can't hold up to your commitments. This news is great to hear and I'll be interested to see if we have a few more changes as the week goes on.

Philip heads back into the crowd after his speech, he waits to see if anyone else is going to make a remark before taking his leave.

Report Post Tip

I think this is an excellent rule to establish. A bold suit shouldn't be something that you pull out from and return to the closet on a whim: it's a responsibility that should not be taken lightly, as you already stated.

My one concern is that this could result in essentially absent or overwhelmed crewleaders simply hanging around for longer, running subpar operations and wasting the potential of their people. However, I believe that if high standards for leaders will be enforced through the favor system, then my fears should be unfounded.

So I wholeheartedly welcome this addition. The repeated setting up and stepping down has made running your own operation seem like sticking your toe into the water to test it- and not the plunge into the deep end that it should be. I'm glad that the only options remaining are sinking or swimming: being able to step down to avoid the disruptions to someone's personal life or frustrations at leadership are not worth the cost of viewing a bold suit as something that you can try on for a week or two before deciding you don't like it.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

I was surprised, but also glad to hear Disorder make this announcement out here. 

Surprised because I always felt that it was common knowledge that this was the way it was anyway. If you stepped up to run a crew/family then you were never going to leave that position unless it was in a body bag. Taking on the Role of leader in any form is a serious undertaking and anyone doing it needs to know that with great responsibility comes great rewards and greater risks.

So I'm glad that you have told us out here in plain English for all to hear. No one should now just jump and say me, me. I want to have a go at that. They are going to know it's importance and what happens if its not for them.

If you want to see what it's like try and get yourself into a Hand position, you won't get the full experience but you will get a serious taster!

Report Post Tip

Shantelle had been standing nearby when she heard the words being spoken. A small smile played upon her lips as she took it all in.

I must say that this is very refreshing. It is nice to see that people will have to take a better look at what they are getting themselves into regarding the important roles of this life.

Still smiling she steps back into the crowd and goes about her business.

Report Post Tip

Subsequently, apart from Godfather Disorder's deliverance on leadership and no more stepping down, Donnie listened carefully to every word he spoke while he puffed on his cigar momentarily waiting for his chance to speak on his own perspective.

"I appreciate you mentioning this and putting it into full affect. I believe in my own opinion here, the responsibility as a Crew Leader obtains a lot of dedication, devotion, honesty, tolerance and seriousness. Not everyone can be a leader. Don't let that underestimate your chances. But If you take up the full authority as a leader, and some days later you want to step down just because you don't have enough time or have what it takes, after this stepping down is in full affect, something inevitable will occur and I couldn't agree more."

Gazes throughout the crowd for a brief moment, clearing his throat once more before speaking again.

"Becoming a leader is something you'll need to be aware and knowledge of very carefully and understand all the responsibilities you will be taking control of, in my own opinion here. It makes you look weak if you can't handle the full capabilities as a leader. You're just wasting your time, the cities time, the Godfather's time and certainly, your own members time. To me, I believe stepping down causes disorganization of that crew and spoils the communication with other leaders and the Godfather's. Just because there is a possibility out there on becoming a Crew Leader, look at it thoroughly and acknowledge all of the commitment you will be putting forward. Otherwise, if you're worried that you don't have what it takes, don't even think about it. Thank you for hearing me out, and I respect Godfather Disorder for putting this into full affect and hopefully influences the new upcoming leaders."

Donnie saunters down the steps of the stage, and walks back towards the crowd and awaits for the next person to speak out there opinions.

Report Post Tip

I'll just have to break the stream of heel-licking praise oozing from every mouth and direction, even if only momentarily, as I imagine there's a long line of people waiting for their chance to praise this decision.

I think it's a bit silly really, I mean sure, if you've spent a few years (too much) in this world of ours, it's entirely possibly that you happen to run out of good ideas and fancy, silly notions on how to improve or 'uphold' standards - back to ye olde golden age, all aboard! - that also enables one, should you be lucky enough to be part of le regime, to show a bit of authority and statesmanship. Lovely.

However, what about the consequences? I don't know anything for sure (or anything, really) but somehow I think that it'll become less likely that Mr. NoobyPants will be authed for the first time, and morel likely that Sir IHaveNoLife XII will be authorized under the same name. Again. But that's just a hunch.

And really, what's wrong with someone getting his chance, having a swell time at first but then realising or discovering or whatever that it doesn't suit him or her after all? Nothing wrong with that is there, provided that his/her superior is okay with it and the money's there. Should really be up to individual districts and cities, but I suppose (hope?) this was something of a collective decision, which shows that those aren't always right too.

Also, what if I or my good pal happen to be a very good & swell crewleader, but I just happen to need some time off due to some circumstances (other worlds and whatnot) or something along those lines. Don't think it'd be fair to off myself at 60-or-so units and a cannon in my pocket. But hey-ho, if this regime thinks such things are good for standards, be my guest.

Something something hyperbole, but I just had to break up the gravy train. It'll be interesting, sure, but so are federal investigations, and those aren't good for business either.

Report Post Tip

I'll address two of those points (hopefully) Kerouac. For the record this was a single leaders initiative that a group of us debated and we agreed that this would be beneficial to upholding leadership standards.

Will Mr NoobyPants not bother with it and SirIHaveNoLife XII go for it instead? Well I hope not. The cities of Detroit, LA and Philly have brought a real mix of experienced and newer bloodlines. I'd say that initiative has done more to inspire first generation leaders than this will do to put them off having a go at the big time. That's my view. We'll see how it plays out. If this decision to end standing down backfires and we see Mr NoobyPants give up on his ambitions then we're open-minded enough people to review our decisions and admit when we're wrong. I just don't see this being a big enough deal to put people off though.

To the other point. Business in the old country gets in the way, what to do? A family built on a single leader, in my view, is doomed to fail and that leader will be removed. A leader selects a RH for a reason - someone to pick up the reigns and control and represent the family as if they were the leader themselves when required. Depth within a family is key to success. A good leader trains up their new recruits so that they in turn can train the next generation of recruits. A strong family can continue doing business without its leader for a modest period of time. If the issue is longer term in nature then why would you want to live?

Report Post Tip

I think it's a bit silly really, I mean sure, if you've spent a few years (too much) in this world of ours, it's entirely possibly that you happen to run out of good ideas and fancy, silly notions on how to improve or 'uphold' standards - back to ye olde golden age, all aboard! - that also enables one, should you be lucky enough to be part of le regime, to show a bit of authority and statesmanship. Lovely. 

"Make no mistake. This is not a change for the sake of it. There is no need for us to make changes simply to stamp some pubescent authority on the country. We are far from insecure about our position in that respect. This is being done for a very genuine reason. To produce a better standard of leadership across the board."

However, what about the consequences? I don't know anything for sure (or anything, really) but somehow I think that it'll become less likely that Mr. NoobyPants will be authed for the first time, and morel likely that Sir IHaveNoLife XII will be authorized under the same name. Again. But that's just a hunch

"This is not the case at all. If you look around there are three cities entirely open to anyone who wanted to try leadership. This is the absolute antithesis of the nepotism you are suggesting will happen. There have also been new blood auths in regular cities too. The current leadership you seem to hold in so much contempt have actually had a very impressive openness to giving people a chance. This rule has absolutely nothing to do with generation-aged credibility. It is solely to do with accepting the seriousness of the role before embarking on it."

And really, what's wrong with someone getting his chance, having a swell time at first but then realising or discovering or whatever that it doesn't suit him or her after all? Nothing wrong with that is there, provided that his/her superior is okay with it and the money's there. Should really be up to individual districts and cities, but I suppose (hope?) this was something of a collective decision, which shows that those aren't always right too.

"Because this kind of zero-commitment attitude has lead to some appalling examples of leadership. It sets the wrong example and embodies everything we are working toward eradicating. Knowing the severity of the decision will force people to take the entire process a lot more seriously. That will only result in more committed performances and stronger families."

Also, what if I or my good pal happen to be a very good & swell crewleader, but I just happen to need some time off due to some circumstances (other worlds and whatnot) or something along those lines. Don't think it'd be fair to off myself at 60-or-so units and a cannon in my pocket. But hey-ho, if this regime thinks such things are good for standards, be my guest.

"If the family you have created is strong enough you should have a highly capable set of hands to hold the fort until you are able to give the role the time it needs once more. A family can be run a number of ways, provided it still functions properly and stands present for it's responsibilities."

Report Post Tip

"If the family you have created is strong enough you should have a highly capable set of hands to hold the fort until you are able to give the role the time it needs once more. A family can be run a number of ways, provided it still functions properly and stands present for it's responsibilities."

Truthfully, this basically summed up what I thought might of been a problem with this new rule. Other then that, I'm really all for it. For a hefty responsibility-based position such as a Crew Leader, a hefty responsibility-based rule should be in place. I hope to see how this change affects the community. Also, I wonder if it maybe even become one of the permanent rules,  that every generation after follows. Who knows, but I sure am hopeful.

Report Post Tip

Bruce listened to Disorder's speech, Bruce smiles and nods as the guard affixes the sign that Disorder had ordered him to place. Bruce then listens to the back and forth after the speech.

Bruce draws a breath and begins to speak.

"Well, it looks like I speak what many others feel when I say I am thrilled that steps are being taken to heighten our standards for leaders. We need people who are going to take it seriously, especially now! I think our standards on a number of things have slipped over time. I am not going to list those things as that is another discussion for a different time. I just hope to see more things change as we progress. Why, you ask? Well, myself and many members of my bloodline have kind of always been the the complainers about how we need to change and all that and I know many others around these shores can say the same thing."

Bruce stretches and begins speaking again.

"I know I got a bit sidetracked there. All I am saying is in my humble opinion that change has been a long time coming. Raising the bar of our potential leaders' standards in a damn good fucking start I think, and I can't wait to see what else is in store for the future of the way we do work." 

Bruce, satisfied with what he wanted to say, checks the time. He then bids a farewell and walks off. 

Report Post Tip

After drinking too much at one of LA,s hot tub parties, Midnight stumbled along to listen to the people speaking. She hoped what she was about to say would make sense in her tired state.

As a new crew leader I would like to think I speak for a lot when I say that I don't believe in this us and them kind of attitude, as if annexed city crew leaders are different to the top crew leaders. The position is one of respect you have earnt the right to become a leader now you must earn the right to remain a crew leader. If all the crew leaders of the past were expected to work at their full potential, were expected to live by certain rules and were willing to die if they couldn't make the grade. Then why would the annexed cities be any different. We wish to be treated like the regular cities then we all need to be working to prove we can do that!

I think this is a great rule. It may stop people taking on roles for tha sake of it. While it's tempting and exciting to take on that nice title of leader, we have all been guilty of wanting it. It's about deciding is it right for you at this time.  My ancestors had been given opportunity once or twice. And I myself turned down a left hand position earlier this year because I knew I was not able at the time. When the position came up for crew leader I believe I said no at first. But as I thought about it. I weighed up the options and decided it was something I felt I could do. I had the skills I had the experience I had to give it a shot. I never once thought of dropping my crew though! Even when it got tough I stuck it out. The only way I would ever leave would be in a body bag. So I hope others in the future also take that on board. Think about the pros and cons. Is it something your able to stick at Right now. 

Midnight wanders back home still slightly drunk and tired. Nodding at a few people as she leaves.

Report Post Tip

Insane takes an early evening stroll out into the streets and stumbles into music the the ears. 

This is in fact the structure of the mafia. Retirement involves a casket, not a parachute. Retirement comes by way of death due to health issues, internal decision, or out right killed. We are in it till our last breath. 

Walks over to the newsstand to get a new crossword puzzle book wondering will the Under Boss (RH)  automatically resume leadership of the family upon the death of the Don/Boss. 

Report Post Tip

I am so delighted to hear this so clearly and directly put. Steeping down goes against everything family and this world stands for, you are not employed in a store where you get a nit fed up so go and hand in your resignation you are leading a family! A family that rely on you each and every day. To turn your back on your family to me is the ultimate insult and completely lacking in respect for those that have worked so hard for you.

Too many people attempt to preserve their life at any cost, even if that means going against long held values about what being a part of this thing of ours is all about. You step up - then live it, breathe it, work it or die. There isn't a neat little retirement package if you decide it all is a bit too much like hard work at the end of the day - there absolutely should be a bullet with the hope that their kin can learn the valuable lessons from the experience to perhaps develop in a different or better way in the future.

Report Post Tip

BlackJack approaches a group of mafioso gathering in the streets and listens in to what they have to say. His interest is obviously peeked once he hears that they are talking about crew leaders and the current trend of the stepping down. He listens intently to all that is said until he finds an opportunity to contribute:

"Fellow crew leaders and mafioso, I can not agree more with the opinions shared here today. My ancestors diaries speak of times where crew leaders were strictly leaders and they would defend their crews at all costs. Unfortunately in my life, and that of my fathers, it has been all to common for leaders to step down and re-integrate into society. If you want all of the perks and benefits of being a crew leader, you sure as shit can't just walk away from it when the responsibilities get too much."

BlackJack places a fresh cigarette in his mouth and lights it up before listening in to the next opinion.

Report Post Tip

After hearing all of the opinions Jaime wanted to add himself:

I personally believe that people might have a hard time in the second world and is forced to step down, but i do think theres consequences in doing so. After all owning a family is like beeing made...blood in, blood out. Its a serious responsibility and has to be taken seriously. 

Jaime arrived late so there were fewer people in the discussion, he got into his car and told the driver to get him out of there.

Report Post Tip
This really is one of the few times I have seen such an announcement by those running our nation be taken with such acceptance. This is an excellent policy to put into place and as you state this is a serious matter, with serious consequences.

When a person takes over a family or takes that role of being made man they swear blood in blood out as I have seen others state. I remember when I was told when I was promoted to Made Man and it is ingrained in the fundamentals of my everyday activities. I knew that day it was the family or a casket, and I made my choice. We have all seen things on our shores, from leaders abandoning their families to leading them to certain death for no cause, to terrible judgement calls that lead to their death. I am proud to see the nation moving towards swift justice for those not putting in their work and accountability and that starts here with the policy put in place.

He threw the dice a few times into the wall and grabbed his cash before nodding his head at a few of the guys before walking off
Report Post Tip

Disorder wanders out into the streets and up to the large noticeboard in the central square. He unrolls and affixes a notice to last week's notice about Stepping Down. Turning to the few curious faces he points to the sign.

Deadline Passed

All Leaders will now remain Leaders until death relieve them of their duty.

"Just to confirm. The deadline for Stepping Down has now passed. Everyone still bold at this time, has had plenty of time to think on the matter and have shown themselves to be committed to leadership for the long haul.

Thank you for your time."

He stepped down from the platform and went looking for the bar LuciusSweet said he would be appropriating for his next event.

Report Post Tip
So if you want to step down, just shoot at Disorder is the new rule. Got it.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: No More Stepping Down
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL