Get Timers Now!
X

May 08 - 19:59:59
Help
0 Watchers
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Disappearing Posts? Started by: Dominic on Feb 28, '20 22:53

A reply I made to a street thread is not there any more...I didn't get an event saying it was deleted or anything. Weird.

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

That means it wasn't roleplayed out or contained out of character references. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

You don't get notified when your posts are removed. Please keep in mind when posting in the Streets that you need to remain in-character to avoid posts being deleted. 

Report Post Tip

I would've appreciated someone telling me

Report Post Tip

We use to be told right Telkin?

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Dominic

I would've appreciated someone telling me

Since we have limited resources, we can't afford to spend hours a day arguing with users.  When its a one-line OOC reply in a street thread, its easier to remove it and move on rather than to spend 20 minutes in an argument with the user. When you posted the 10 words, you knew they were OOC.  I really do not want to have our volunteer crew's sole job to entail wacking 5 replies, then spend 2 hours in heated debates.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but an overwhelming majority of people turn very argumentative about why their post/thread was removed or moved, going through something similar to the 5 stages of grief:

Denial:

The post was flawless. Its content was perfect and should serve as a shining example for all to bask in its glory of RP perfectness. I spent 10 seconds typing those 10 perfect words. It did not deserve to be removed. 

Anger

There was nothing wrong with it, I am being censored. How dare you make me, of all people, abide by the rules of the forums.  This is admin interference, why are you being an asshole.  Your friend's former roomate's coworker's hairdresser was in the same crew as an enemy of mine 7 years ago, that is proof you are cheating.  When my reply was reported by another user for being OOC, why did you wack that one and not the 3 other ones that were not reported and are not on your radar?!

Bargaining

Ok, So only a tiny tiny amount of my 10 word post was the word "game", but I meant it as... game... as in... the business, yeah... thats what I meant.

Depression

Yeah, I'll never write again.  You have killed the creativity in me.  I have succumb.

Acceptance

Ok, I will refrain from talking about the website as a game in threads that are posted in the streets that are supposed to be in character role play.  This 20 minute exercise has been enlightening and I am glad we could spend it together.  After much internal debate, I have objectively considered your statement that "I agree with you, Duh. The whole game's coming apart." may possibly be considered by some as not being in 1930s in character role play isn't too far fetched as I first believed.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Not that I disagree with the above, but perhaps updated forum rules may help people to be clearer on what is/what is not allowed? 

Report Post Tip

Its in the text description of the menu that he would click to go to the forum.

Its in the ? that links to the wiki article that describes this a few cm away from the link to the forum

Its in the top of the page of forum.

Its got a sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Short of sawing off the barrel of a shotgun and shooting additional descriptions of it at every page, there are some users who will know what its for but just ignore it when it doesn't suit them.  This isn't a problem with education, its a problem with self control :/

Report Post Tip

Fair enough and I was not trying to be facetious with that comment. It was a genuine suggestion to reduce such issues and prevent engaging in circular debates with users. If you feel the majority of these cases are perpetrated by people who should know better, then perhaps it is just me who is unclear on some of the specifics.

I followed the steps you describe and see the thread by Anubis which was a fairly specific response to a particular issue at the time and then the wiki articles, which is more of a help page describing the various forums rather a do's and don't's. 

What I envisaged was a codified set of rules, similar to the player conduct policy that could be referenced when issues like this occur. A notification when a post was deleted referencing these may further prevent people hassling you/staff with these issues. However, if I am just being obtuse, please disregard.

Report Post Tip

Perhaps when Telkin wants to remove a copy can be sent and why and if the user feels it was in character they can take it to you? 

Report Post Tip

Calie, just Telkin or all of the HelpDesk volunteers? What about the other volunteer administrative staff? Should it not be the writer's responsibility to make sure that what they are posting is in the correct format for the forum it is being posted in? It's not like there is a shortage of material that is available to help with that.

https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/10433
https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/61875#224895751

https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/3908#5746816

https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/67661#229610381

https://wiki.mafiareturns.com/wiki/Forums

https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/1026867/tpass/e3aa4185e5100b74fc30927dab321432

That's not mentioning the HQs out there with "how to RP" type threads. Why is the onus on the volunteers and not the writers?

Report Post Tip

Reread what I stated.

Report Post Tip

Calie I think you need to read what Squishy said. After all, it is pretty blunt and to the point. Just go up a few posts in this thread read what he has said. Just in case you deem this a waste of time I'll share part of it with you.

Since we have limited resources, we can't afford to spend hours a day arguing with users.  When its a one-line OOC reply in a street thread, its easier to remove it and move on rather than to spend 20 minutes in an argument with the user. When you posted the 10 words, you knew they were OOC.  I really do not want to have our volunteer crew's sole job to entail wacking 5 replies, then spend 2 hours in heated debates.

Report Post Tip
Blah blah Iris. I'd ask when did limited resources go into effect but I know the answer. Iris we were at one time informed why our posts were pulled. Stop being an asshole Iris. You are not above everyone.
Report Post Tip

Why is Telkin removing posts?

Report Post Tip

The two posts removed from this thread added no sustenance to the conversation and were clear attempts at shit-stirring.

The Help and Suggestions Forum(s) are not the place to hash out your beefs with other players. 

Report Post Tip

can you remove the title crook doctor created by me i know that is not illegal but the last line of that story is repetitive and its a shame for me please let me claim a bit dignity for me xD

Report Post Tip

Mr_J please submit that request to HelpDesk. 

Report Post Tip

Posts can be altered with or without a request.

Report Post Tip

Boom! The bells are a ringing. Right T?

Report Post Tip

Help
Replying to: Disappearing Posts?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL