Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 13:29:08
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 [ > - >>> ]
Chess Started by: Herbert on Feb 28, '21 15:59

Anyone else play Chess? After Queens Gambit and a large chess boom on Twitch the game has started to become a lot more popular. I started a few months ago and am learning a lot. This thread is for discussing all things Chess, strategy, news, recent events. Whatever you want. 

Report Post Tips: 9 / Total: $180,000 Tip

Been busting my friend's ass since watching queens gambit. I felt really good until I found that a decent high school player will be rated 1400-1600 while I'm like sub-1000. Really puts the game into perspective for me. 

Anyways if anyone wants beginner tips I suggest GothamChess on YT, great channel with great breakdowns. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Hi Herbert, I have been playing since preschool, it's kind of a given if you're Iranian/Russian. It's nice to see that the game is gaining popularity, hopefully, soon you'll be thinking about openings, middlegame and endgame strategies. 
Let me know if I can be of any help. 

Report Post Tip

I'm playing London on white and French on black for kings pawn opening at the moment. 

Report Post Tip
I have played on and off for a while. I have the 'social chess' app on my phone, if anyone fancies a game message me and we can sort something out!
Report Post Tip

I played a lot of chess when I was younger and it was fun but this days I dont have anybody to play with 

Report Post Tip

Erwin, there are a few of us from MR who play together, if you want to play. Just need to create an account on chess.com.
I signed up yesterday.

Report Post Tip

I used to play Chess. Such a dangerous game though. It is one of those things that you can absolutely obsess over. Very fun though. And NEVER a drinking game. I always wanted to play the game Go, from China I think. 

Report Post Tip

Yeah everyone pretty much plays at chess.com these days. They have all the best resources including game review, puzzles and lessons. It's pretty cool. 

Report Post Tip

I read a lot about chess.com

If you are there to learn, then buy gold membership (it is something super cheap but covers everything you need) and also I spent my childhood reading all those books, that is also a good start. But best, find a nice player and just play daily, after the game, review your moves. Or when I used to play against my father, he would tell me, look, for the future do that and that, or move here and there, because this and that.

Report Post Tip

My father taught me to play chess and I remember he would always ask me if I wanted to lose fast or slow.  It didn't take me long to learn how to stop the 4-move checkmate lol.  Now that my father is gone I do appreciate those times we spent together.

Report Post Tip

Indeed, I play. There are some good sites for multiplayer chess. Hit me up if you ever want a game! Maybe we could even bet on it... I'd have to check the MR Rules on that though.

Report Post Tip

I played chess on chess.com for a little bit, I'd say like a week or so, but one day I forgot all about it and haven't played since. I may check back into it one day when I'm bored or if one of my friend's challenges me to a match. I'm not a chess pro nor do I play very often, but I know the gist of the game.

Report Post Tip
I played for awhile when I was a kid. Won more than I lost and after that stopped playing, other than a few games here and there last year. Just haven’t found anyone to give me a challenge.
Report Post Tip

I learned to play chess because my sons were playing at a high level. Not that I wanted to learn it, but it was a motivation for them to see me struggling to learn the game, while they were good in it quite fast :)

Report Post Tip

It might not be of your interest, but I sometimes watch some games on a site where they make tournaments between chess engines.

https://tcec-chess.com/

The strongest engines have an elo around 3600 :D

I don't think a common human could learn much by watching those plays, but it is interesting for me to peek at them sometimes.

Report Post Tip

I've been following the guy Agadmator on youtube for a few years now, and the Netflix series definitely reignited my interest in the game. Unfortunately, I'm absolutely atrocious at playing the game. Watching good players play is entertainment enough for me

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I do enjoy playing chess too.

Must admit though I am not the most patient or theory driven player.

Big fan of just trading the shit out of everything and hoping I'll beat them in the end game.. haha. 

Tebo, you shouldn't pay much attention to the theory part when you are new to the game. That's the fastest way to get bored with it. Just play, enjoy it and learn the game.
Once you developed an understanding and can see the reason why a piece is moved (maybe 3-4 moves ahead) then you could start with the theory part, to combine them into your game.

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

I haven't played in years, but I did get my niece and nephew into it awhile ago when I found one of the boards I've had for years. I know my nephew has been enjoying the game, he even got a glass set this christmas that he loved.

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Chess
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL