Get Timers Now!
X

May 09 - 20:00:10
Page:  1 2 3 4 [ > - >>> ]
Mezzo Park Started by: Elle_E_Ott on Apr 12, '21 21:14

Down 12th Street and just past the Episcopal church, a small park sits. Two paths meander through it, each of them plotted carefully to make one-half mile, for those inclined to keep track of such things. Off-center of the park and somewhat between the two paths is a small pond, one often populated by visiting ducks or geese. The trees peppered throughout the park aren't terribly old, but have been allowed to grow up enough over the years so that their canopies provide ample shade for picnicking families, yet still leave enough open space for friends wishing to toss or kick a ball around. During the warmer months, industrious individuals will push a gelato or lemonade cart along the walking paths. 

Several benches are located on the grassy expanse, under trees and along the waterline. All are weather-treated and painted a clean white, with the exception of one.

This bench, painted a deep, deep shade of purple, is the only bench with a bronze plaque riveted onto it. In a lovely script, just two words:

For Jack

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $860,000 Tip

"Here. Something like this, is what I had in mind." 

They were stopped at one of the park's entrances, after a quick walk from the burger joint. Elle heard a squeak of tiny wheels, and turned to see an ice cream vendor slowly pushing a cart down one of the paths. Her stomach rumbled, reminding her that she'd left an entire uneaten BLT behind, but a tiny flutter of excitement had taken up some of that space, because she was actually quite happy.

"I've only been here once, it seemed so nice and... unexpected? Don't get a lot of vandals or thieves down this far, I think it's because of the proximity to that church there." Elle squeezed DickGrayson 's hand and pointed at the Episcopalian church half a block down, then turned and began to head down one of the park's two paths. They both opened up to the small pond at the center at some point, and that's where she wanted to go anyway.

"So nice out." Elle huddled close to her husband, although it wasn't cold, by any stretch. "I looked into it, the park is city-run, of course, but I'm now an 'esteemed contributor', whatever that means." Elle laughed a little, then sobered as they approached the one purple bench amongst the white ones. The bronze plaque with the words 'For Jack' engraved on it stood out liked a weirdly pleasant sore thumb. 

"I had them paint this one the color of royalty, and add the plaque. But I also donated enough money to keep up the landscaping, lawn care, the whole works for, well, probably longer than my lifetime, anyway. City hall really likes me right now." Elle grinned proudly, then took Dick by the shoulders and gently spun him around to face the street again.

"You can't see it very well from here, but that green awning down the block? Near the bank? It's a flower shop. I didn't buy it... Tony did. Remember Tony, the big bodyguard that Runa and I sort of adopted? Turns out, the man can arrange a mean bouquet!"

Report Post Tip

“This place is beautiful Elle_E_Ott!” I was visibly in awe of the work she had done, “This is quite impressive, Love. You’ve really outdone yourself here.”

I slowly traced my fingertips over the purple of the plaque, “It’s a fitting tribute, Elle. Jack would be proud of you. You’re doing great things now.”

I smiled as heard the bubbles in her voice. She was happy, proud of what she was building. “You are amazing, Love.”

Report Post Tip

"Well, I can't take credit for what God has done, or Mother Nature, if you prefer. The park was here, I just sort of goosed it with an influx of some TLC. Tender, loving cash." She smiled as a pair of ducks waddled down to the water's edge.

"It's open air, people can talk, transact. Disposal and the like is discouraged obviously, but I think it's a nice place to have some privacy while seeing how the other half lives." By now she and DickGrayson had gone the length of one winding path and back again. At the parking area, a family of five was busy fussing with each other as they extracted lawn chairs, toys, and a small barbecue from the back of a car. Not exactly the Monkey Island she'd been dreaming of, but she'd often found herself thinking about some good old normalcy, too. Unfortunately, going legitimate didn't seem to be in the cards. Once you were in The Business, well, that was pretty much it.

​​​​​​"How is the new crew coming along? Is it all you'd expected it to be?"

Report Post Tip

“Exhausting.” I chuckled, “I’ve never had to manage so many different personalities at once. If it’s not one thing, it’s another and on and on. Makes me miss the old days a bit. When we weren’t doing much but laughing and answering phones. Simpler times. Ya know, before the fire and what not.”

I playfully prodded her in the ribs. We both had come so far in a short amount of time but that didn’t stop the longing for the easier days. When we didn’t have the responsibilities. When we could spend half the day lounging in bed and the other half hopping from glass to glass. It wasn’t that we cared any less back then, we just didn’t have the weight of building worlds hanging over our heads.

Dont get me wrong, it’s great. It just- it feels all the same, ya know what I mean? Sure, I’ve got a fancy new suit but not much else feels any different.” I dug at the ground with my heel as I looked down, “I don’t know, that might just be me.”

Report Post Tip

The sun was shining, the birds were singing, and the kits were driving her mad!  They were very much growing into themselves.  Who knew that fox kits grew so dang fast!  It seemed like only yesterday, she was vowing her life to caring for the critters, and now they were running her ragged!  But no one could deny the fact that Vivien loved them more than she loved most people.  This said something, because Vivien LOVED people.  Now, the kits weren't the only ones coming into themselves.  Vivien was settling in well here in Detroit and found that she loved every moment.  She had found a place where she belonged!  Who knew it would have taken these two critters to set her on the right path?  Well in any case, Vivien wandered quietly down the walk toward a park she had been told about very recently.  This news had been a Godsend, considering the fact that the kits simply wanted out in that sunshine! But there wasn't much room, or grass for that matter, for the kits to wander in outside their HQ.

So into the park she wandered.  Pausing for a moment to draw in the cool Spring air, Vivien smiled warmly to herself.  Perfect.  The day was just perfect.  Naturally her pause was met with a fairly angry scrabbling from somewhere in her pockets.  She still insisted on carrying the tiny things in her over large coat pockets.  This would likely change in the next few weeks, but for now Vivien wouldn't have it any other way.  "Fine fine, I hear you!"  She giggled softly as she reached into her pockets and withdrew the red furred beings who had become her constant companions.  She knelt down to set them in the soft green grass and grinned from ear to ear as they took off like a shot.  Well sort of.  They were still not the most steady on their legs but they were learning quick.  Viven was sure to give them as much opportunity as possible to practice...  Much to the chagrin of some of her crewmates she was sure!  But hey...  Most of them remembered their mother so it went over fairly well.  

Glancing up, she beamed as she saw the very woman who had given her a chance and accepted her quite willingly into her family.  Raising a hand, she waved gleefully to Elle_E_Ott and the gentleman she walked with DickGrayson.  She hadn't had the pleasure of meeting this man, but he looked quite cozy with her Leader.  This caused a slight pause in the girl but she quickly shook it off.  She had a lot of respect for Elle and she could do as she pleased.  She didn't need her latest upstart in her business.  Besides, the way it looked, there wasn't anything wrong.  Vivien had simply grown quite a protective streak...  She blamed the two russet furred critters now bounding their way over to Elle and Dick.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

It had been awhile since Velvet ventured out of Philly, with they news storming through districts of one's fallen in fire. Coolness of the morning brushed against her skin as she walked the streets of 12th Street, which were usually busy and bustling, oddly eerily quiet. Inhaling deeply on her cigarette as she was lost in thought, she spotted something different along which had been an empty lot upon her last arrival.

"A Park? Huh...suppose couldn't hurt to enjoy this sunshine a little more"  picking up her pace to meld into the busying groups of people on their way to work or morning tea.

As she turned onto the path, she noted it looked, well new, room to grow, yet beautifully manicured, kids were kicking balls around, few benches scattered throughout, it felt homey. Smiling warmly as she walked along the path, the giggles painting the wind as it passed her by, she missed the sound "Lil E would love this place... I wonder if EthanElijah has been here yet? Perhaps bringing Lil E for a picnic would be nice..."  trailing off into her thoughts as she imagined being carefree playing and creating memories by the duck pond on a picnic rug, some cold meat sandwiches, sliced up fruit, maybe some sneaky lollies. 

Frowning her brow as she noticed a purple bench standing out like a sore thumb, peaked her curiosity, approaching the bench she noticed a plaque, beautifully engraved "For Jack". A gasp escaped her involuntarily, her attempt failing to keep her eyes from watering, running her fingers over the plaque "Oh Jack... this would be the perfect spot for you to drink the city in...With so much growth yet to come from these plants surrounding this bench, much like your enthusiasm to this life... Who ever created this park did a spectacular job..."  drinking in the beauty that surrounded the bench, reaching into her jacket pocket withdrawing a flask filled with scotch, removing the lid she brought it to her lips and took a swig as she took a seat on the bench gingerly, unsure if she was 'allowed' to, a smirk broke across her face.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

"Well that new suit is about to get a little dirty." Elle's voice came out strained, hitched. It seemed to happen every time she saw Merah's two kits. Elle knelt down, her hand in DickGrayson 's bringing him down to the grass with her as the russet pair came closer. It took them awhile, distracted as they were along the way by all the new scents, sights, and occasional butterflies floating past. The female kit reached them first, looking up at their faces with open curiosity. 

"There was a fox back in Philly, she was part of Race Street. She- well she didn't make it, but these two are her kits." Elle gently ran a finger up the little girl's narrow, pointed nose, between her eyes, and over the back of her head in a loving gesture she'd adopted with each of them. 

"The back yard is getting boring, isn't it. Yes it is! No new smells." Elle stroked the second kit as she had the first, then stood and smiled at Vivien 's approach. 

"Vivien! Have you met my husband Dick? He's here from New York to make sure I'm staying out of trouble." Elle winked, then watched as the kits began to wrestle around with each other in the grass. It wasn't exactly a picnic with the kids, but Elle thought this was probably even better, especially when she spied someone resembling Philadelphia's own Velvet near the Jack Mezzo bench. 

Report Post Tip

You would have to be an idiot to not have heard about Jack Mezzo and all that he did for Detroit. Hell, the Godmother of 12th Street was his protégée and so that kind of history carried on. She knew the park was opening, but wasn't sure how things were gonna go from there. But the weather was lovely, and she hated to admit it but she had missed Detroit. Even for all the noise and pollution, it was good to be back home, which is what it had become in such a short time. 

There were people about, but she was too nervous to approach them, instead she wandered the grounds, taking in the people and noises of the day. Stopping in her tracks, she stared as a flash of red caught her eye. It seemed impossible, she knew they were real but she'd never actually seen any up close. She moved a bit closer trying to get a better view of the foxes that were playing with the Godmother, but not wanting to intrude. 

Report Post Tip

“Pleasure to meet you Vivien.” I extended my hand warmly, “Easier said than done keeping this one out of trouble.” I playfully tussled Elle_E_Ott’a hair before kneeling down beside her and the kits she was happily petting, “I hope everything is going well for you. It’s not my back yard but I hope Detroit is treating you well.”

Report Post Tip

"Hey, It's been a while" velvet 
Last time they crosses paths was when Dihajh Decided to visit the lounge in Philly.
"Do I owe you any money from our meeting?"
Dihajh proceeded to walk around the park and take in the view of the flowers local scenery.

Report Post Tip

Vivien watched with all the attentiveness of a new mother.  Sure these foxes were not her own, but by the behavior that most could observe from the young woman, they may as well be.  She smiled warmly as she watched them frolic and bounce through the grass, investigating this, sniffing that...  She let them roam a little, but always stayed at least close enough to get ahead of any threats.  She smiled warmly as she watched their somewhat purposeful trajectory.  Right toward Elle.  That made sense.  They knew her scent almost as well as they knew her own.  Naturally it was a safe and attractive smell to the two fox kits.  

But before too long, the two made it to the pair.  Immediately they were rewarded with greetings from Elle.  Vivien beamed as she watched the interaction.  Elle certainly had taken a shine to her two companions...  For this she was ever thankful.  From the first meeting with the woman, she knew very well that the two would never go without.  This heartened her extensively in her chances of keeping her promise to their mother.  A moment passed before she looked again to the man standing beside her, curiosity clear in her eyes.  Yet as her approach was completed, her curiosity was quickly sated.  Another glance downward to make certain that the kits were doing what they were supposed to.  They were being perfectly polite little creatures.  Vivien's eyes snapped back up to Dick and they danced in amusement.  From what she had gotten to know of Elle so far, which was quite little indeed, she knew that this would be quite the insurmountable task.  "It's a pleasure to meet you sir!  I'm finding Detroit quite to my liking.  Absolutely!"  She grinned brightly at him as she shook his hand quite happily before flopping down on the grass to watch the kits tumble and wrestle.  They loved the wide open spaces.  Again odd for foxes, but hey...  When your adopted family all walks on two legs, you gain odd habits and preferences. "How's New York?  I met a friend who I'm pretty sure said that's where he was from.  Maybe you know him?  His name is Ethan."  She nodded and prattled on a little, quite oblivious to the fact that Elle would likely know this man quite well indeed.

Movement drew her attention as she saw a woman she didn't yet know, even though she was fairly certain that she'd seen her around.  Vivien waved to her as she saw her attention fairly riveted upon the small red furred creatures that she called her own.  "Hi, come on over if you want!  They're friendly."  Vivien glanced over to Elle as if for confirmation.  Great job Viv, get the carriage before the horse.  But ah well...  They were out in a public area and it wasn't like this was a private meeting...  Right?  Vivien sighed and flopped back to lay on the grass sighing as the sun soaked in quite pleasantly.  "It's the best kind of day...  Don't you agree?"  She reached over and playfully covered the little male kit who growled playfully in response, tussling with Vivien's hand for a moment before tackling his sister who had wandered over to observe the woman, Georgette, who had stopped some distance away.

Report Post Tip

The two kits played together in the grass and she couldn't help but laugh. Something in the back of her head tickled a bit, and a strange thought came over her, and without hesitation, she voiced it, "This is what he'd have loved, I think." before frowning, not sure if she meant someone here, or... "Mezzo," she said after she realized who she was referring to with her statement. 

Taking a few hesitant steps closer she crouched down in the grass with a beaming smile on her face. "They're beautiful," she said to the woman who was now laying in the grass. "What are their names?" 

Report Post Tip

Shoresy struts into the park, hockey bag over his shoulder after praccy.  He thought the park would be a good place to enjoy his protein shake before he went to workout...

"Jesusfuckingchrist boys, this place is fuckin' awesome!!"

Shoresy decides he might be able to get a workout in here.  The Irish were on a slump and he needed to be at his best.  Shoresy jumps into the pond naked and starts swimming laps.

Report Post Tip

Ethan once again found himself back in Detroit, he'd been away from his club for what he felt to be far too long a time.  Though he told himself, to be fair, he had far bigger and more important priorities in New York with the family he was right had to as well as helping to raise his son. Which despite his mother's wishes Ethan brought his son along with him on his trip to New York.  The boy was curious as to the work his father did in Detroit, and Ethan wanted his son to see more of the country than just New York. Ethan figured if she didn't want him making decisions on raising Little E, she shouldn't have decided to let the kid know Ethan was his real father. Despite his son being eager to see his father's club in Detroit, Ethan however, wasn't so anxious.  He was looking for a way to put off having to deal with the hassle and teasing he knew his employees would give him. 

His heart panged when the two had come across Mezzo Park.  Ethan placed his hand on his son's shoulder to stop him from continuing to walk. His voice was quiet and somber when he spoke. "C'mon E.  Let's take a walk, and visit here for a few moments." 

E just looked up at his father, "A park dad, really?"

"The man this park is named after... helped save my life once. We should both go to pay our respects." He replied to his son, after a soft sigh. 

Ethan and his son walked along the path for a little while.  Ethan noticed several families, and individuals out and about just enjoying life.  It brought warmth and joy to Ethan's heart seeing it, he couldn't help but think that Jack would have sincerely enjoyed such a warm peaceful environment such as this. As they rounded around a curve in the path, E was the first to notice Velvet and he ran towards her.

"MISS VELVET!"  The boy exclaimed as he hugged her tightly as she sat upon the bench. "DAD, ITS MISS VELVET!" 

Ethan tried to hide the excitement he felt in unexpectedly finding his girl in Detroit at the same time he happened to come to town, but the smirk across his face clearly gave him away.  He had to fight to keep from running up to her himself.  The smirk on his face finally broke into a bright smile when he was only a few steps away from Velvet. 

"Hey there love. You are the most pleasant of unexpected surprises.  I think Lil' E and I made the right choice in coming to visit the park before heading to the club."

Report Post Tip

Drawing back on her cigarette, observing families playing in the park, giving those who she recognized a polite bow of the head, getting lost in her thoughts. As she thought back on her times Jack had helped her push through some tough times, it was bittersweet being here.

Seeing Dihajh approach her, a smile broke onto her face almost amused as he asking the oddest question “No! Don’t be silly honey! Was lovely catching up with you in Philly, same time same bat channel? Maybe this time in Chicago?”  giving her a smile as he proceeded to walk around the park.

Her eyes widened as she heard footsteps coming towards her hot and heavy and a squeal of excitement "MISS VELVET!"  The boy exclaimed as he hugged her tightly as she sat upon the bench. "DAD, ITS MISS VELVET!"   before she was able to turn around to see who the heck it was, she swooped Lil E in the tightest hug and nuzzled into him.

Hey lil man! God it’s good to see you, I was actually just thinking of you and your Dad...” Her voice trailed off as she giggled, lifting her head to be met by her boyfriend, her eyes crinkled as she grinned back at him.

Hey there yourself Handsome, aren’t you a sight for sore eyes… what luck huh? I was thinking actually how nice it’d be to have a picnic here, maybe even kick some ball around…”  nipping her bottom lip, she looked at EthanElijah dotingly.

Was actually thinking of giving you a call when I got back to the Club and mentioning this Park to you, seem you beat me to it though”  placing a soft kiss on Lil E’s forehead before she untangled her arms from around him, pushing herself up off the seat, taking a couple steps towards Ethan wrapping her arms around his waist as she looked up at him, standing on her tippy toes giving him a soft kiss on his lips.  “Hmm… missed you.”

Report Post Tip

Elle looked up from the tumbling bundles of russet fur and let her eyes scan the landscape of Mezzo Park once more. She'd anticipated locals walking their pets, kids playing, and that would have suited her just fine. What she hadn't expected was to recognize some of the faces visiting the park. Esteemed members of Philadelphia, Chicago, New York, Detroit, to be specific. Jack Mezzo's influence had indeed reached far, and here was the proof of that. Elle looked back down at the kits, now making a beeline towards a newly-arrived Georgette, who was in for a cute little attempt at a tackling.

Georgette. Now there was an up-and-comer. So many ideas in that head of hers, Elle saw nothing but good things in her future as a key element of Detroit, and she was really looking forward to the upcoming weekend in particular.  

Report Post Tip

The last few days had been draining, meetings, rogues, and sleepless nights the attempts to grow.    Now was a time just to sit back, relax, and not worry about anything for a half-hour or so, as he sipped his coffee walking into the park.   He realized he just wanted the peace and quiet of being outside but away from everything, just to relax, and not think of work for a change.

Walking up to the burger vendor, he ordered a half-pounder as he looked around for a spot in the quiet, as he nodded to the familiar faces and passed out a few waves to the people he knew.   He didn't mind as everyone was going about their business and the common platitudes were as far as things went.   

After layering between the burgers with ketchup, he wandered over to a shaded bench, placed his coffee beside him, as he munched at the burger before unfurling the newspaper under his arm and perused the headline.   Breathing a sigh of relief he thought to himself, peace at last.

Report Post Tip

"Come on Mista Bear!" a high-pitched voice echoed through the park, and then a wave of birds abandoned their places in the trees, taking to the sky in a mass of feathers and fear. "Last one there has to push me on the swing!" she said her little arms and legs furiously pumping as she ran towards the playground. Behind her, a large Brown Bear trundled after her, at what one might describe as a leisurely pace. "Mista Bea.." she started to say as she tripped over something, or put her foot wrong and instead of running she was suddenly flying and falling. 

Her pretty dress with the cherries all over it was now decorated with additional mud and grass stains. The small figure was motionless in the grass, and from the sounds of the earlier joy, the park was eerily silent. Bearistotle let out a noise of bear distress and he trundled over to her, nudging her with his massive paw. 

Report Post Tip

Bearistotle stood over Olivia as she lay face first on the ground. As clumsy as a cub... Come on let's get you up and you can go play. Grabbing her gently by the back of her dress he pulls Olivia back to her feet. 

Brushing the dirt off with his paw he looks at Olivia. Everything okay now?

Report Post Tip

Detroit Business District
Replying to: Mezzo Park
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL