Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 24 - 13:38:01
Page:  1 2 3 4 [ > - >>> ]
Christmas cooking tips Started by: EvilClown on Nov 27, '21 07:56
This one is for the budding chefs amongst us. I’d be interested in hearing and you sharing any recipes and cooking tips for meals associated with the upcoming re branded, ex pagan festival, now called Christmas 🎅
Report Post Tips: 11 / Total: $220,000 Tip
I’ll start. I learnt only last year to place a butter and herb mix under the skin of a turkey.

Worked out great.

I got a big serving spoon and lifted the skin of the pre cooked Turkey then fed in my herby buttery mix.

Blasted in the oven for several hours and turned out to be my best bird yet 👍
Report Post Tip

My wife found a great Christmas Mojito recipe -- with holly and cranberries. Man it's great.

For food, look out for all those vegetarians out there --- find something interesting besides carrots and plain white potatoes :)

They'll spin a good yarn about you later

Report Post Tip
What's the recipe then, Luke?? C'mon don't leave Mojito hanging.
Report Post Tip
Some people score the brussle sprouts before cooking which just gives them a chance to taste even mushier! Instead remove from packaging and place directly in the bin!
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Here's a tip that I learned for making pan seared lamb chops. Soak the chops in milk over night. Then, rub with rosemary, thyme and garlic. You'll want to sear in a cast iron skillet- using butter. If you do not own a cast iron skillet, you are missing out! Sear, on the fat side edge (this can be a balancing act but it works well using tongs), sear the fat side until crispy, then flip t the broad sides...do not over-cook. 10-12 mins tops should do it for 1 inch chops. Serve with a butter, thyme sauce or the traditional mint sauce (I do not like the latter). I will make this for Christmas day. 

Report Post Tip

There is only me and my cat so it be a cooked chicken instead of a turkey. 

Really sad if you must say so myself

Report Post Tip
Personally, I like to put a turkey in the oven. Have 5 or 6 beers and maybe a whiskey if you’re not too hungover.
Take the Turkey out, pray that it’s cooked.
Have a celebratory beer.
Let someone else cook some potatoes and all that other rubbish whilst you have another beer, in awe of your earlier achievements.
Allow someone else the pleasure of dishing out dinner whilst you enjoy a beer.
Eat dinner, maybe a nice glass of wine to wash it down.
Have another 4/5 beers, each one broken up with a whiskey in between.
Repeat next year.
Report Post Tip

ahhhhhhhh top thread

ok, for me it's my home made sausage rolls from the bbc good food page, they're bloody delicious

also go for Nigellas roasties (oooeer missus) for xmas day, they're amazing

Report Post Tip

I'm not cooking for Christmas, I will probably order my food this time and watch a movie or two and relax for both Christmas and New Year's Day.

Report Post Tip

I was looking at the turucken. The duck inside a chicken in a turkey. Sounds like a great way to add horror to the holiday

Report Post Tip

A mixture of 75% butter to 25% duck fat for mashed potatoes makes for an amazing upgrade, especially if you’re including freshly chopped herbs. Using an electric mixer is also your friend, provided you don’t overdo it (because nobody likes gummy mashed potatoes)

Report Post Tip

Mmm that sounds lovely Spaceman. I used to be terrible at making my own mashed potato so always bought store stuff. But for the last couple years now i've been making it regular and getting better and better at it. So much nicer having your own home made stuff imo.

Report Post Tip

For the Christmas bakers...it's all about starting early! If you want to do a variety of gifting Christmas baked goods, think about what keeps well and spread that baking out over a longer period of time so you can enjoy the process rather than stressing about whether you have all your timings right.

Report Post Tip

Goose fat for the roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese made from scratch and to start the morning off a cuppa replace milk with baileys instead! 

Report Post Tip

Christmas has almost never been about the bird for us, that's usually Thanksgiving. Instead we have done many different things including tamales and enchiladas, a traditional (old fashioned) English dinner complete with pudding which my dad delighted in setting on fire with a ladle full of brandy, German inspired food in which the sauerbraten and schnitzel were divine, and my sisters favorite...Ham. I'm glad she likes ham. 

as for baked goods though

We do shortbreads, Mexican wedding cakes, iced sugar cookies, linzers, pressed cookies, jammy dodgers, puddings, stollen with home made marzipan, rum soaked fruitcakes which beat the crap out of any fruitcake you have ever had or hated. If you couldn't tell, we like to bake ;)

Report Post Tip
I will be cooking a crown roast with all the fixings.
Skipping the traditional turkey or ham.
I always have fun making a nice Christmas meal for me and the family and giving the wife a break from the kitchen.
Report Post Tip

The important tip, don't wait until Christmas to have a drink with friends as you never know when they may be gone.

Report Post Tip

I'll be making my special Banana Pudding that my family, friends, co-workers, and everyone else loves. Not just any ole banana pudding either, but one made from scratch. Not the banana pudding made with cool whip base or whipped cream, but the banana pudding made from custard, fresh wafers and bananas....none of the flavoring bull crap. 

Report Post Tip

does anyone else have an xmas day fry up in the morning?

presents, then put, then dinner, nap then drink

it's what Jesus would have wanted

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Christmas cooking tips
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL