Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 09:46:42
Page:  1 2 3 4 [ > - >>> ]
Where are all the Mobsters? Started by: killer6 on Dec 10, '08 22:25
I really do not know where to start with this. I am irritated. What has happened to the mobsters of this game? They are gone! They vanished! Everywhere I look, whether it is IRC, or in the streets, the OOC, anywhere, it is people complaining about this... or complaining about that... What the hell is going on here? Are you guys not playing a mafia game?

Let me go into more detail. Rules. What rules? What are these rules you speak of? There are rules of the game, to keep the game flowing and keep it running smooth. But rules? Like, "We just killed XXX leader, do not kill his/her members, they have 24 hours to find a crew. If you do you will be shot." Are you serious? First off, who are you to decide who lives or dies... You obviously took out a crewleader. Here is where the underlying issue is; no one from that family should live, in theory. Because a real MOBSTER, a REAL family, would fight to their dying breaths for their crewleader. Where have the family ties gone? Where have the bonds, the oaths gone? There are no gimmes. There are no do overs. You do not get protection because your leader died. You should not join another family... you have ONE family, that is it. Reason one why there are no mobsters left.

Here is another: Who the fuck are you to tell me how to run my family? I had a great conversation today with a good friend, and we were discussing how leaders now-a-days use the new favorite excuse, "He/she doesn't run their family right. He/she member whores. He/she [insert stupid ass excuse here]." Who the fuck are you to tell me how to run my family? I run my family the way I want to run my family. Who are you to tell me how to raise my kids? Who are you to tell me how they should be brought up? As a family we will follow the guidelines of mobsters... respect. We will respect other families that deserve our respect. But who the hell are you to take down a family with the excuse of "XXX didn't run their family right." You got to be kidding me!!

Which brings me to my next point; Where the hell are all the role plays and public relations, etc with the rest of the community. Every leader on MR's history has been nonexistent in this category. No one wants to role play why they took down a leader. No one wants to be creative and say, "I lost my medication, I went crazy, the gun fired, we couldn't stop, [continue role play here]. No. Leaders here decided that, "lets kill XXX and then not release a thread out for five days and then bitch and moan that I am being called a tyrant or a evil bitch, or just plain fucking stupid." I guess we lost the creative people too. I guess "he is a shit leader," suffices with everyone now. Not me people, NOT ME!

Another thing... wtf? I have never seen so many people break Omerta. Just a few days ago, a guy was on IRC and spouting out witness statements. Are you serious right now? Like, where have all the mobsters gone? Where are they? I think they all left. Maybe a reason why I do not play this game anymore. None of you people care. No one cares. There is no family. There are no mobsters. There is no Omerta, respect, anything. It is gone. It is lost forever.

No one truly knows what it means to play this game anymore. It saddens me every day to come home from work, come to my second job on here, and see a bunch of people act worse than a daycare. It breaks my heart, it really does. All your baiting, all your bullshit, all your "I have 24 hours to find a crew in my profile." It is all utter bullshit. I loved this place. More than any of you ever will know besides Scott and Billy. I gave my soul to this place. And I look at it now, and I am ashamed that I used to call this home.

Unbelievable.
Report Post Tip
killer6 for auth.

Because he can't get any shorter.
Report Post Tip
So your ashamed of a game that you help run?.....then why run it? why not just walk away from it and never come back? Im just a lowly gangster and have only played the game for a max of 5 months therefore I have no voice, but it sounds to me like your ranting about the same stuff that you dislike why whine here?
Report Post Tip
Ray, here's a flower for your hair. do you want a hug?
Report Post Tip
I take my comment back.....
Report Post Tip
Can I hold your hand Ray? Maybe we can braid each other's hair...

Oh the good old days.. A distant memory clouded by rainbows and pretty unicorns.
Report Post Tip
Quite unfortunate when someone who has so much passion for this place gets this frustrated, posts his thoughts and they will end up being lost on the people who really need to see them. Oh well it is the nature of the business I guess.
Report Post Tip
Seems to me the "real mafia" had rules. You couldn't just do whatever the hell you wanted. You might piss off someone higher up in your own organization or (if you were smart & thought of the bigger picture) you might piss of another organization and lead yours into ruin. That seems to be the reason for a lot of the "rules" I've seen while playing. You only deem fit to point out one rule you see as wrong. It does seem a rather unrealistic rule if you glance at it. Looking a bit harder however (from your own 'realism' point of view), the lowest ranked members of a family were probably disregarded after the main goal had been accomplished. I'm sure not all members of an organization fought to the end, and I bet some of them moved on to other ventures with possible ex-rivals. Most of these people would not have been viewed as a threat due to them being of little importance, with few contacts, and extremely limited resources. Here in the game however, the lower ranks are easy kills for up & coming hitters who need the stats. Thus they are usually targeted regardless of their involvement or expected threat. One could then logic that the 24 hour rule is to allow people not to become easy prey. I do think Made Men and above should not be allowed to survive a war.

I do miss the good RPs. (Though I hope they end up better than "oops dropped my gun"... but regardless.) It also seems rather lazy to take out a crew (or more) and say nothing at all about it. Sure, I know the leaders love to throw out "I don't have to explain myself to anyone!" That is true enough, but it sure makes things more interesting for everyone else when you say SOMETHING. "He is a shit leader." is a terrible reason, at least expound on that a little & explain (even role-play) how it has affected you. The lack of Omerta feels to me like people failing to realize how to play the game. They seem to lack an understanding as to the point of the whole thing. That you play as your character, and unless your character is disloyal (and thus probably won't last long) then you should shut your trap about most things. Even to your friends.
Report Post Tip
I think FP was one of the only ones trying to get people thinking in the way of a mobster, but now he has departed this place unfortunately :(

The thing is, the leaders really dont need to offer reasons to the public, but lately the streets seem so boring, the only thing that I see is so and so made Don and it's becoming boring. At least when there's a war and someone explains the reasoning it gives a few bitter people the chance to give leaders a round of fucks and debate it out and offer a bit of entertainment to a few people.

The 48 hour rule is somethign I do not agree with at all as it doesn't tie in with our ways as mafioso's. End of the day, nobody should be earning money on someones turf and not be paying tribute to them. But whatevs, I can't see that changing anytime soon.

As for remaining members and their protection, I agree, they shouldn't be protected, when they joined that oprganisation they declared their loyalty to them and them alone. Anyone is a threat, whbether it be a Gangster or a Consig. Just because they're lower ranks doesn't mean they can't still be threats, sure they may only be able to hit the lower ranks but if you do not care to protect the smaller guys then just wtf is going on. Kill 'em all!

The understanding of how a mobsters mind works just hasn't registered with many of the new faces and so the remainign oldies have just seemed to have given up. It's a sad reality but I just can't see many people coming round unless some fucker grabs the game by it's nuts and runs it how it should be...
Report Post Tip
"Where the hell are all the role plays and public relations, etc with the rest of the community. Every leader on MR's history has been nonexistent in this category."

That is BS Raymond seeing as Fake and I were able to roleplay the entire "gay boat theme" for a while.
Report Post Tip
killer6, you brought up a few valid points.

Because this is OOC I'll address this point. The biggest thing that bugs me is the protecting unsponsored after a leader dies in a war. I'm playing as a mobster who's interests should only be her business and family, but after and during every war since I started playing here about 2 years ago someone always says "post a thread to protect the unsponsored." That's why I do it. Because that's how things are done here. Sure, I'm a Don and can change things, but who in the hell am I to go against the way people have been doing things for years? If it really was my choice I'd kill them all AND get rid of the 48 hour rule, but oh my fucking god, that would be too mean, like mobsters should be.
Report Post Tip
Haha i think it should be reduced to a 24 hours rule. If you can't find a family in a day, who gives a shit, you deserve to die.
Report Post Tip
Then do it, Zoey. It was a CL who decided to make the 48 rule, and who started the trend of protecting the unsponsored. That person decided to use the position of being a CL to change things. Why is it you seem to think CLs no longer have that power?
Report Post Tip
Apparently the administrators want some sort of 48 hour rule in place or they would have not designated those gangsters in the obituaries with the red/blue colors.
Report Post Tip
To be honest, I'm neither for nor against any "unsponsored shooting rule" unless that unsponsored mafioso happens to be me and in which case you should all NOT shoot me.

Thanks in advance,

Rourkey
Report Post Tip
We all have our feelings about how this world is going.. for good or worst.. worst most likely, but hey a good things cant go on forever..
Report Post Tip
I'm just curious, the 48 hour rule was designed to help new players, but how many new players are we getting on say a weekly basis?
Report Post Tip
Swoll, the answer to your question is what RourkeyRourke posted after yours. I've never liked the 48 hour rule because it should be simple for new people to figure out if they're in the mafia they should be in a crew, but I'm not going to be the big asshole who lets people fill the obits with blue names. The 48 hour rule along with the no killing of unsponsored is what I was taught since I've been here so maybe this whole debate about the present group of players not being mobster enough should be blamed on those who taught us how to be mobsters.
Report Post Tip
I must agree with NobunagaOda to an extent.

No disrespect to you Raymundo, but out of all these people YOU are in the best position to help guide the game to a place you feel it should be. If you feel "ashamed" over a game where you are "Head Assistant," is it not your responsibility to assist it to where it needs to be?

It is absolutely impossible to completely police the userbase. The whole basis of IRC and even online friendships defy the Omerta code that is constantly preached throughout the game. Very rarely do friends in one crew shoot friends in another crew. Safelists exist, people leak war details, etc. etc. There is no way of stopping this.
Report Post Tip
Since this is OOC, I'll be more blunt and forthcoming about what I think than I would normally.

Rules, rules, rules. There are no rules. This is the mafia and we are mobsters. No one's making any binding decisions for anyone. I just checked. I've still got a "wack" button that appears when I look at unsponsored fellows from the fallen families. So what's stopping me from going apeshit on them? Not rules, power! I know someone stronger than me will react negatively if I do, and I want to avoid that. You don't like the guidelines laid out by the people with power? Use your own power to change it. Even the lowly gangster has the power of 1%, and others could rogue. Don't want to try that? Then get the fuck over it, since you obviously don't care enough to even try to do what you can. In a position of power and want cover? Call for a meeting of the leaders to discuss it, then coerce or convince them to agree with you. There are plenty of mechanisms in anyone's hands to try to bring about the sorts of changes killer6 wants to see -- or any other changes for that matter. "I can't" or "other people wouldn't like it" is only an admission that you don't really care that much about the issue -- or that you're weak.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Where are all the Mobsters?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL