Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 10:54:55
Page:  1 2 3 4 [ > - >>> ]
Lose/Loose, Rogue/Rouge, Sally/ForkRourke Started by: ThomasRourke on Apr 15, '09 04:53
Lose/Loose, Rogue/Rouge, Sally/ForkRourke

The word on the left is the correct way to say what you're thinking, the word on the right is something else entirely.

Here are examples:

Lose/Loose

"I can't wait for this Consigliere to lose his pro so we can kill him."

"I have a screw loose and am going to start shooting people."

Rogue/Rouge

"Oh there's a rogue down by the corner store missing goombas."

"Fork Rourke must apply rouge to the bruise on his cheek that he obtained from walking into a door."

Sally/ForkRourke

"Sally is the RHM to ThomasRourke."

"Spelling incorrect."

The point is this, these are simple grammatical fixes that everyone can make. I don't want to be informed about a 'Rouge' on the prowl or that you hate 'loosing' money at blackjack. Now that it's pointed out to you all, I hope I won't have to start shooting my way out of Bizarro Webster's Dictionary.
Report Post Tip
Sir. This is a truly needed topic. I wish we could tattoo this on people who keep breaking these rules.

Also, how about there/their/they're and your/you're?
Report Post Tip
There/Their/They're

"There is a goat-riding midget escaping from ThomasRourke's bedroom." (location)

"ForkRourke is their most embarrassing secret." (possession)

"They're a bunch of good-for-nothing losers." (contraction of "they are")

Your/You're

"Your goat-riding midget has escaped." (possession)

"You're a rogue and a loser." (contraction of "you are")
Report Post Tip
Well first of all, if they can't say "lose" correctly, out of all the basic words in the language then I'm not going to fuss trying to explain the difference between something like "their/there/they're". At least when those mistakes happen I can gather what they mean and it doesn't interrupt my intake of whatever speech they're making. When they say something like "loose" though, it completely takes over my train of thought from what they're saying and makes me wonder what God would punish me like that. Therefore, I am weighing my options on becoming something similar to the Caps lock Killer of the old world.
Report Post Tip
Awesome, thought for a moment for some more common mistakes.

Aha! I have another!

"... and I"/"... and me"

"I am going to kill you."

"Him and I are going to kill you."

"It was me."

"It was him and me."

If you'd use 'I' when alone, then use 'I' when not alone. If you'd use 'me' when alone, then use 'me' when not alone.

Awesome eats an orange.
Report Post Tip
Heh to be frank though, a thing should be kept in mind when adressing these grammatical errors.

There are actually people playing who are not from a country where English is the primairy language, for example I am from Holland and I can sometimes make some really silly mistakes either by spelling or word order simply due to it being correct in Dutch.

My point is though, for all you out there that are annoyed by the grammar and spelling sometimes... please do keep in mind that we're not all perfect speaking / typing mafioso's. Some of us just got off the boat and others their GF refused to pay proper education for (sometimes understandable, waste of money). Then there is also dyslexie (sp?) which is not even related to where you're from, it's just there.

I am happy this is pointed out though. Some errors are made by ignorance and I think that's the case mostly. Those are annoying yes.

All I am saying is, keep a few things in mind before having a go at someone about his spelling.
Report Post Tip
I thank you, Sir Thomas & Mr.Awesome, for bringing this topic to the streets.

This is so much more fun than reading those thick dictionaries.

I can't wait for the next sessions. :)
Report Post Tip
Scipita has a point. We all have flaws...and seriously...over loose? Maybe they have an unavoidable stutter or a slip of the tongue. (OOC: Since this is in the streets and all. But so no one misses my point...a double tap or mishit of a key) There are many other reasons. Really ought to chill out over it. Hell Awesome, the first words you spoke in your second comment were an error in your sentence structure. I wish there had been one for me to point out in ThomasRourke's post for the same reason as I'm glad I could point out yours. However I'm sure if you looked through his posts you would find some as you would find them in mine. We are gangsters sirs, not Grammar Police. People who constantly shout are something different though. They deserve to be shot. Unless they are deaf of course.
Report Post Tip
All valid points, but it's been pointed out now. Hopefully, for the health of all involved, it ceases. The problem is I lack a conscience that tells me to differentiate on a case to case basis.
Report Post Tip
Awesome bows his head in shame at his mistake.
Report Post Tip
my word.

Could the council of supreme linguists be making a comeback?

I still have my 'procurer of biscuits for and purveyor of tea to TCOSL' business cards!

*hides from TeQ*
Report Post Tip
Well to be totally honest here, with all do respect of course, Your a Godfather Mr Rourke...is killing really the option for a speech problem? Now with that said of course with obscene cases of blatant idiocy a little punishment is due, but if the newer generation see a Godfather killing people for speech problems, Then that in turn scares new guys away from posting for the fear of being hammered for it. Then we gotta hear the speeches about 'streets are boring' - 'why is everyone mute?'

just my opinion on the matter ;)
Report Post Tip
Yes, it is an option.
Report Post Tip
Or of course you'll get the ones saying he is a godfather...maybe he's growing old, senile, needs to be put out of his misery. Now I of course have too much respect for my elders. I'm just saying. You know how the younger generations are. It's something to think about though when going on killing sprees don't you think?
Report Post Tip
A spree would indicate it's a very impulsive and ill conceived course of action wouldn't it? I just think that for everyone looking for an elusive promotion to some hallowed rank or another they should exhibit some semblance of ability to form words in a speech, wouldn't you say the same random Goomba nobody?

I'm not looking to revolutionize the intricacies of the language, I do think however that there is an alarming amount of people who hold rank that can't differentiate between a person going on an actual shooting spree (rogue) and a cosmetic product (rouge).
Report Post Tip
In regards to AlfonsiTimello's comment, i agree with some of the points made..

though, i think the question is more along the lines of ; Is killing due to poor grammar the appropriate option?
Report Post Tip
Yes, I Los_Lobo_loco, new member of Winter_Hill and definite somebody do believe the ability to elucidate one's opinion is a valuable skill. However I disagree sir that it is all important. An equally valuable skill is the ability to over look small mistakes such as those. But as you so pointedly mentioned I am but a goomba. My words will not determine what happens as yet. Soon enough though I hope as I'm sure all those working their way up do. As one who does have the ability, and the forbearance for those who do not I felt it necessary to speak on their behalf.

Even "selective pruning" of those who do not share the abilities that you the god father and I the Goomba possess seems to be excessive to me. Many a man has made there way in the world and done great things without these skills.

As to rouge and rogue I'm sure they can differentiate between the two. I am sure they would not shoot a lady's means of beautifying herself nor would they try to rub a man who is usurping power on their cheeks. These are quite obviously very different. However when speaking of the exact same matter it is quite different. They are indeed very similar and quite easy to get mixed up for those not so well educated I am sure. It is a learning process. Advocating that all who do not share our proficiency be shot, whether it is a spree or selective seems excessive. That is all I am saying. Kind of like using a shotgun on a squirrel when hunting. Yes. It's dead. Yes they no longer annoy you with their way of speaking. However you can not eat the squirrel or even mount it Sir. Nor can those who strive to gain rank continue to do so, continue to be an asset to their families if they are whacked.
Report Post Tip
OOC-itis is a bitch people, don't let it take you alive.

For those that aren't riddled with such a disease, does pronunciation really matter? Of course it does you plums, if you can't get it right first time, go practice down some quiet back alley until you do nail it! If you haven't ever been trained in the ways of literacy, pay someone to proof-read all your speeches first. Sheesh.

In saying that, some gangsters are just thick as shit so will never nail it and are too stupid to find help. Ok, it's more than some actually, lots. Thomas, I hope you will be applying this liberally when any CL steps out of line as well, not just low ranking peons. Much like the early stages of the NY initiative, this could be a good cleanser.
Report Post Tip
LLL, is that a thesaurus in your pocket or are you pleased to see me?
Report Post Tip
If anything it would be this interesting debate. it is humorous though...This started due to the inability of others to speak well. Now you mock me for not only possessing but using those exact skills you deride and wish to eliminate others for not having? Please do correct me if I misunderstand.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Lose/Loose, Rogue/Rouge, Sally/ForkRourke
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL