Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 24 - 06:06:17
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [ > - >>> ]
National Basketball All-star Championship Started by: Charles_Barkley on May 25, '20 10:59

The sunshine cast long shadows over the city streets as it started to set behind the buildings.  The growing crowd knew something big was coming, children pushed their way to the front of the crowd to get a better view of what was going on.  The rumours of country wide basketball contest had been growing for days and days and with it all but confirmed the worst kept secret of the week just needed to be unveiled to the public.  The fact that Chuck was going to be involved provided a certain celebrity panache to the contest.

Finally, the time was here.  Sir Charles strolled onto the hastily built stage and the crowd went wild.  Underwear landed on the stage beside him.  Chuck glanced down, he was maybe 80% certain they belonged to a woman but given Right was in the crowd he couldn’t be 100% sure.  People were hugging, there was a lack of social distancing going on, nobody was wearing masks but given the enormity of the occasion it was completely understandable.

"Ladies, gentlemen, gangsters and dons.  Today is the day I finally confirm the worst kept secret…a competition to find out who is the greatest shooter in all the land.  I’d be quite partial to a golf competition but the only real good course around, Grinble Beach, has been left to rack and ruin by the absentee Grin-07."

Chuck took in the early applause.

"Imagine, taking on the best shooters in your city and coming out on top.  Then...taking it to the biggest stage around, here...your friendly streets.  Mano a mano against your contemporaries from the other cities to shoot it out so you can say I AM THE GREATEST SHOOTER IN ALL THE LAND."

The entire crows collectively drew in their breath.

"Now is your chance.  As of today, I am opening up the National Basketball All-Star Championship for entries.  It is open to everyone, even Evening and comes with proper prize money."

"The entry fee of $250k gets you one shot in the city competition.  You can enter a maximum of three times, so $750k, I know you’ll all want to just keep going and going but there’s no buying your way to the top in Chuckster’s competition.  Not in first place?  Enter again, give it another go!  Want the kudos, win the city.  Win the city and take on the world!  Each of the city winners gets the princely sum of two million dollars GUARANTEED!!!  TWO MILLION DOLLARS!  Just for throwing some balls through a hoop.  That’s almost as much as I got paid to play an entire season as a rookie and here you are getting it for making some three point shots.  Crazy!"

Chuck waited for the cheering to die down

"All the city winners get a place in the grandest of grand finals. Support your local hero as they fight their nerves to represent you to the best of their human abilities."

"Two rounds of three point attempts like the city contest to determine who makes the top four.  These gods among you will play off in a series of 1 on 1 contests to find the winner. The prize for this is not too shabby:

National Winner - $15m
2nd Place - $5m
3rd Place - $2m"

Chuck’s glamorous assistants Zahara and Right start handing out flyers to the assembled masses while Chuck talked through them.

"This one details the city wide qualifiers and this one tells you about the final championship."

"Any questions get in touch but the simple matter is $250k to enter (a maximum of $750k is you take all three attempts to enter), win the city win $2 million, win the big one and you win $15 million."

Chuck walked down to the front of the stage and high-fived all the kids at the front while their parents held out pieces of paper looking for Chuckster's autograph.

Report Post Tips: 29 / Total: $610,000 Tip

Roll up, roll up we have our first entrant.  Everyone welcome JimmyTheWeed.

Jimmy strolls up to the five racks of five balls around the three point line looking confident.

Rack 1 – Not too bad.  Jimmy just scores more than he misses – 3 baskets made
Rack 2 – Showing the same level of confidence he pings in another 3 baskets
Rack 3 – Ah…the pressure gets a bit much and he misses four attempts – 1 basket made
Rack 4 – Did he have words with himself?  Does he have a patented head re-arranger.  What a reversal – Four baskets made!
Rack 5 – Back to his old rhythm again – another three baskets made.  

Great going Jimmy.  A grand total of 14 points and you take the lead for Philly!

PH Leaderboard

1 - JimmyTheWeed - 14 points

Report Post Tip

Finally, a chance to follow my hoop dreams and assert my dominance over these Chicago rooks. You think Master_Splinter has a chance against me mano a mano? I'll put that rodent on a poster. They call me The Big Ragu out on the South Side public courts, on account of my known associations with the organized crime rackets in The Loop, and baby, it's time to take this sauce nationwide. 250 big ones coming your way, Chuck. 

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

"Zapata, I was under the impression you were called the Big Ragu because you are pasta best..."

Splinter laughs to himself and walks off back to the Fiddler's HQ, his work load had increased dramatically since the boss had thrown open the HQ doors to all the dregs of society and he had missed his morning meditation already. 

"I am sorry though, I know nothing of this game Basket ball of which you speak. I would challenge you to a game of Kendama, but perhaps Hanetsuki would be more suited to your abilities?"

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Already shirking off a challenge. You'll be wearing Air Zapata's this time next month, Splinter. 

Welcome to the show Zapata.  What do we think folks, despite the big words I think Zapata looks a little on the nervous side!

Zapata gets ready to start and stands beside the first rack.

Rack 1 - Just like watching Jimmy’s efforts, Chuck thought it was a decent start.  Not quite as dominating as Chuckster would be but three baskets to start with was pretty good going.
Rack 2 – Ah.  What was that?  The shakes?  There were a lot of clangs and not too many swishes. Just one basket.
Rack 3 – Zapata likes a sequence – score, miss, score, miss, score.  Three baskets.
Rack 4 – There is a slight delay as Chuck tries to get to the bottom of a persistent knocking sound.  Turns out, it was Zapata’s knees. He only manages one basket in the four attempts although one did have a bounce around but all the willing into the basket was for nothing. One measly basket.
Rack 5 – Ah well.  At least Zapata’s misery is at an end.  The assembled crowd had their fingers in their ears at the sound of all the clanging but at least he made one basket at the end.

Harder than it looks Zapata?  The hoops are an unforgiving mistress!  Well done for taking the lead in Chicago!  I’m sure Master_Splinter will have less success than you.

CH Leaderboard

1 - Zapata 9 points

Report Post Tip

You leave me with no option but to accept your challenge, I do not back down from any gauntlet, regardless of how bizarre or childish it may seem. Organise your hoops Mr Barkley

Good to get that warm up in, Chuck. I'll need to do a bit of light stretching before my real attempt. Maybe get a late lunch, put some carbs away. Know a good massage place around here? I'll just be over here for now, hydrating. 

Master_Splinter emerged from the crowd, wearing an elegantly embroidered dressing gown.  On closer inspection “Cunts The Pair Of You” was picked out in expensive gold thread – quite the motivational quote Chuck thought.

Surely Master_Splinter could use the force or something to overthrow Zapata.

Rack 1 – Despite being a rat, Master_Splinter made a good fist of putting some pressure on Zapata’s score.  An excellent start of three baskets!
Rack 2 – Has someone got into the master’s head?  This was not quite as good but you know, Zapata had a bad rack here too.  Maybe the balls are a little slippier.  The one basket Splinter got was quite fortuitous to be fair.
Rack 3 – Hmmm.  The master of zen looks a little like the dunce of zen.  Looking flustered around his hairy little cheeks he could only manage one measly basket.  Maybe Zapata had a point…
Rack 4 – Chuck nudged Zapata and whispered “Do you think this will make the next Sewer Pipes?”.  Splinter was making a habit of missing.  Chuck would maybe have a look at the rules and make sure there was no mistranslation.  At least the poor wee rat made a basket this one too.  There were no zeroes yet!
Rack 5 – Despite all his woes, Splinter still had an opportunity to get to the top of the leaderboard if he managed to make four of his baskets.  All to play for!  Unfortunately by missing three, he did well to cling onto second place in Chicago with all the strength in his tiny little paws!

Well done for taking part Master_Splinter.  You can have another two goes at overtaking Zapata!

CH Leaderboard
1 – Zapata 9 points
2 – Master_Splinter 8 points

Report Post Tip

It has been a long time since Mercury had entered a contest. When she heard about this one, she had to give it a try. JimmyTheWeed had already put up an impressive score for Philly however someone should challenge him, yes? Her dad had taught her how to shoot underhanded free-throws when she was a child. She had extended that ability to the three point line as she grew It was time she threw her proverbial hat into the ring, for Philly!

Zapata had stoked up quite the interest with his goading of Master_Splinter, bringing AidenPearce to the racks.

Welcome Aiden.  Zapata’s “warm-up” score is very beatable.  When you’re ready…

Aiden stepped up to the first rack

Rack 1 – Zapata’s trash talk from the sides looked to bother Aiden a little.  He took aim and missed three of his first five attempts but he didn’t look to be a million miles away from doing well. Two points
Rack 2 – Aiden making a splash with this rack! Swish, swish, swish, swish, swish.  Nothing but net.  The closest anyone had come to being as good as Chuck.  5 points.
Rack 3 – Chuck must have closed his eyes and someone switched Aiden out for his cross-eyed twin!  To go from success to almost total failure was something only Aiden could live with.  If it wasn’t for a lucky bounce he’d have had nothing, instead he managed one lucky basket.  1 point.
Rack 4 – How would he come back from that…by looking mediocre at best!  Another mixed bag with three misses and only two baskets.  Limping beyond Zapata’s score Aiden got two points.
Rack 5 – Surely, now the lead was in the bag, the shackles would come off and allow Aiden to press home his adva…nope.  One measly basket.  Maybe it was the relief of beating Zapata and taking the lead.  Maybe rack two was a fluke.  Didn’t matter.  Aiden was in the lead!

Well done Aiden.  You have shown Chicago what is possible.

CH Leaderboard
1 – AidenPearce 11 points
2 – Zapata 9 points
3 – Master_Splinter 8 points

Report Post Tip

Mercury was next up to challenge for her city’s current leader, JimmyTheWeed, throwing her hat at Chuck to say she was ready.

Excellent, Mercury, come along and give it a go.

Mercury took her place by the first rack

Rack 1 – Mister Consistency-ish had rattled in three for the first rack.  Mercury looked to crumble under the pressure…Maybe the hoop she practiced with wasn’t regulation height because she was neither close to the hoop nor close to matching JimmyTheWeed…only making one basket.  One point.
Rack 2 – Now she was getting into her rhythm.  The ball was getting closer but still not close enough.  Out of the corner of his eye, Chuck was sure he could see Jimmy smirking slightly as Mercury only made two baskets.  Two points.
Rack 3 – Still not quite there.  More attempts were rattling around the rims but struggling to fall her way.  The rim was not kind at this point.  Again another two points.  She needed a couple of big racks to get the lead.
Rack 4 – Boom, boom, shake shake (shake, shake, shake) the room.  Where did this one come from? The angle must have suited Mercury perfectly.  Not even Jimmy had gotten all five.  Was the comeback on?  It would need the same again to win!
Rack 5 – Ahhh.  The crowd, that at one point were starting to get out of their seats, now sat back down as the first couple of shots missed.  Even though two attempts went in, it wasn’t enough.  If only Mercury had had a better start, Jimmy would have sweated a bit more! 2 points

Well done Mercury.  A good showing but not quite good enough.

PH Leaderboard
1 – JimmyTheWeed 14 points
2 – Mercury – 12 points.

Report Post Tip

A hush descended as Elodin bounded out.

I’ve got to beat Zapata!

Chuck looked down at the raccoon.

Come in and give it your best shot.  Do you know what you need to do?  Can you lift the ball?

Elodin stood on his hind legs and flexed his tiny arms.  It looked like someone had stuffed tennis balls beneath his skin.  Elodin took himself beside the first rack

Rack 1 – Elodin looked slightly overawed, maybe because Aiden had just taken the lead in Chicago but if beating Zapata was his only goal Elodin had to remember that Zapata had been VERY patchy!  Even still, Elodin only made one of his attempts.  Not the best start but with four racks left anything could happen.
Rack 2 – Game on!  A RACCOON MADE FIVE BASKETS IN ONE RACK!  Even if Master_Splinter might not win the Chicago playoff, that could always be a headline in the next edition.  Only even that might be too sensational!  Anyway, yes, without any hesitation Elodin just threw it down to Zapata showing him how it was done!  5 points!!
Rack 3- Like the house built on sand that came crashing down, Elodin crumbled!  Boy did he crumble.  Too small?  Too tired?  Too intimidated?  Who knows but nothing.  He’d have been as well just walking past the rack and saved the energy!  Zip!  Nada!  Nothing!
Rack 4 – Like the San Andreas fault – Elodin has cracked!  All he had to do was keep it together and make a couple of baskets over the last few to beat Zapata but here was another no-hope no show on the scoreboard.  Would Chuck start calling it a bagel?  Maybe he should.  Bagel, bagel for Elodin.  Zapata’s score was looking even more distant!
Rack 5 – The crowd stood there willing the plucky raccoon on but the occasion was too much.  He only made one more basket.  The poor little raccoon peaked too soon.  What a shame.

Bad luck Elodin, not even in the top three…even though Master_Splinter’s score is as low as it is.

CH Leaderboard
1 – AidenPearce 11 points
2 – Zapata 9 points
3 – Master_Splinter 8 points

Report Post Tip

Mercury was disappointed with herself. While it wasn't a terrible performance it was far from her best. She hadn't shot hoops in a couple decades but that was no excuse She decided to give it another try.

That can't be ! I will get you Zapata ! My next attempt will be the best you have ever seen ! Watch it ! 

The crowd oooh’d and aaaah’d (and some awww’d) as plucky little Elodin threw his furry little hat into the proverbial ring once more.

Must…beat…Zapata

Rack 1 - Elodin looked like a raccoon possessed!  Certainly more confident than the first attempt!  He certainly looked a lot more at ease, flinging three of the attempts through.  Threesy peasy!
Rack 2 – “Take it easy Elodin” shouted one of the crowd.  Bearing in mind Zapata only got one on his second rack, Elodin calmly shrugged off the three missed baskets…safe in the knowledge that the two baskets he got put him one ahead. Twosy doozy!
Rack 3 – Hopefully nerves weren’t getting to the plucky little raccoon.  This rack looked shakier but he still managed to get a couple in.  All square in Elodin’s little head to head with Zapata and everything to play for.
Rack 4 – What ever nerves that looked on show in Rack 3, were gone in Rack 4.  Elodin looked goo-ooo-@ood.  It was almost like he couldn’t miss…except for the one he did but that didn’t matter.  Half way through you could see the shackles were lifted as Zapata’s score was buried in the dust.  Not only that but AidenPearce’s score was in sight! Four points!!
Rack 5 – OMGG – Oh My Golly Gosh!  What have we just seen…another five straight!  Elodin has hit nine of the last ten attempts.  Not bad for Chuck but brilliant for a raccoon!  Splish splash Elodin’s having a dash!  Wow, another headline for Master_Splinter’s rag!  Stick a fork in Zapata…and AidenPearce!

Excellent effort Elodin…maybe a pro-ish contract could come your way!  We say goodbye to Master_Splinter off the leaderboard.

CH Leaderboard
1 – Elodin 16 points
2 – AidenPearce 11 points
3 – Zapata 9 points

Report Post Tip

Basketball? Distasteful sport. I'm a golf man myself. Dribbling and shooting a ball through a hoop? It has none of the glitz and glamour of hitting a much smaller ball into a sunken cup, admittedly. This actually seems like it is the game of the peasants and, well, the Zapatas and Elodins of the world rather than the mighty Grin07's. Hardly worth my time, honestly. Still, the pride of Chicago is at stake and I feel like Elodin representing us as the king of anything is the biggest insult there is. I guess I will have to demonstrate my superior skills. 

Mercury came back in for attempt number two at wresting the crown from JimmyTheWeed.

She took her place by the first rack.

Rack 1 – Very good start from Mercury only missing one attempt.  Four points.
Rack 2 – Slightly shakier rack.  She still gets three baskets but some were a little lucky, bobbling about the hoop a little. Great effort though, staying ahead of Jimmy at the same stage.
Rack 3 – Deary me.  Everything was looking ok but have nerves started preying on Mercury?  By only making one on this rack means she has a lot of work to stay ahead of JimmyTheWeed.
Rack 4 – Much better.  Really putting the metaphorical dagger into Jimmy!  Swish, clang and three more swishes making four points for the rack!  She really is in pole position to take the lead for Philadelphia!
Rack 5 – Just one more solid rack and it’ll be fine.  All she needs is three baskets and she is in the lead!  But…but…but!  Was that the dreaded knee knock of doom??  There is nothing like getting the baskets on the board to create scoreboard pressure!  Mercury only manages one basket from the last five.  So so close to an upset but alas it wasn’t to be!

Bad luck Mercury.  

PH Leaderboard
1 – JimmyTheWeed 14 points
2 – Mercury 13 points

Report Post Tip

DamnMercury said to herself. Just short! She would give it her last try. What will be will be! Maybe JimmyTheWeed is better than her. Lets see!

Seeing how easy Elodin had made things look, Grin-07 strolled out from the crowd oozing the confidence of a man who has been told repeatedly how great he is…he thrust a card into Chuck’s hand.  Chuck glanced down and repeated the words on the card.

Ladies and gentlemen, here we have the great and glorious Grin-07 himself.  Sure you can do this?

Grin nodded and stood by the first rack

Rack 1 – Boom!  Statement start by the embodiment of ball playing superstars.  Only missing one attempt and my word that one was close too.  Elodin looked nervous!  Zapata looked smug!
Rack 2 – Chuck acknowledged that maintaining high performance was a skill but Grin almost kept his foot on the gas to the end of the second rack but the last two shots were short.  BY A LOT!  Had the great Grin peaked too soon?
Rack 3 – Uh oh!  One solitary basket bobbing along on a sea of less-than-mediocrity!  Do we have a wobble?  Technically, Elodin had fewer points at his point but he got the big mo just at the right time.  Time for the bog boss man to show his stuff I think!
Rack 4 – Well that was that!  When the moment comes, the great dig themselves out of any hole but it’s all to play for!  Remember, Elodin missed one of his last ten!  ONE!  Grin still needs an enormous effort to take this!
Rack 5 – The dampest of damp squibs.  If someone took their 4th of July fireworks and put them in the bath, then took them to the depths of the ocean and tried to light them there…they would have more success than whatever happened here.  Nothing.  Absolutely zilch!  You do have to feel for Grin at this point, getting himself in such a great position but bottling it!  How does someone recover from that??

CH Leaderboard
1 – Elodin 16 points
2 – Grin-07 13 points
3 – AidenPearce 11 points   

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: National Basketball All-star Championship
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL