Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 14:31:52
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [ > - >>> ]
The book was better than the movie! Started by: Elle_E_Ott on Dec 10, '20 00:19

I read the covers off of "The Outsiders" and introduced my sister to it.  She saw the movie and was so disenfranchised with it she told me never ever to watch it.  This year they released the director's cut and I saw it in theaters with her.  It was actually pretty good.  Still not as good as the book, but I enjoyed it. 

I also agree that most of Michael Crichton's work gets butchered but the original Andromeda Strain had a good adaption.  Enough that it kept me solidly on the edge of my seat. 

Report Post Tip

I don’t know if this one has been mentioned yet or not, but The Martian is an excellent book, well and truly butchered by the film, which inexplicably invented a whole new ending. I’d happily re-read the book, but I wouldn’t touch the film again. 

Report Post Tip

Honestly I rarely read for pleasure so I would have to say that the movie is always better.

Reading takes to much time and a movie is normally done within 2 hours so to me it is less time wasted.

Report Post Tip

GOT, the universe in the books is huge. The show misses on thousands of characters with interesting backgrounds, many of the locations.

My favorite plots aren't even displayed in the series, shame.

Report Post Tip

PTA's adaptation of Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon is one of those rare movies that almost comes close to the book. It pulls off the deliberately confused tone of the novel brilliantly and both Joaquin Phoenix and PTA are masters at what they do. The book is still better but they did an excellent job. 

Report Post Tip
Its so obvious the difference im still admired ppl discussing this. Every movie based on a book can be awesome but never in the same league
Report Post Tip

I didnt used to watch many movies but the first movie i absolutely disliked after reading the book was Paper Towns. I remember being so excited to watch the movie as the book was one of my favorites, and i was totally disappointed lol

Report Post Tip

Finished the series Fleishman is in Trouble, now I'm going to read the book. Might be the better approach, actually. 

Report Post Tip
All books are better than movies, they cant get the perfect feeling like a book does. Also most written in a book is hard to film. Best is always to read a book and then watch the movie to get the perfect satisfaction.
Report Post Tip
CATCH22 what an amazing read I could not put this down I’m usually a couple of chapters a day guy. This one had me gripped from the start.

The movie version was such a disappointment.
Report Post Tip

"Where the Crawdads Sing" was so much better as a book. The Movie was too clean and tidy and didn't do the book justice, at all, in my opinion. 

Report Post Tip

In high school I had a reading assignment and then had to right a report on whatever book I chose to read.  I read Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", which, of course was made into a highly acclaimed movie starring Jack Nicholson.  I had a reputation in high school as a troublemaker and ne'er do well, so my English teacher didn't believe I had actually read the book.  She tested me by asking about the one difference between the book and the movie - how did Cheswick die. I answered correctly, that he had drowned in the swimming pool, and she beamed with pride that this rotten kid actually read a book.  But yeah, the book was better than the movie.

Report Post Tip

A series rather than a movie but A Song of Ice and Fire, the game of thrones saga. Unbelievably rich and innovative writing. Even discounting the last couple of seasons where the writers disasterously tried to emulate Martin’s style from plot outlines he’d provided. There was so much in the characters, plot and landscape that the screen time just couldn’t hope to convey. Don’t get me wrong, before they let the windowlickers turn art into vomit with bad writing, the first five seasons were fantastic. It’s just as others have said. No screen version of a book can ever hope to touch the depths of the original inspirational words. 

Report Post Tip

Oh my goodness...  Now this is a button topic.  Now better is not really the word I'd use for it as I think that most of the movies and book combos I have watched and read are both good in their own right.  I mean what is a movie but the mental reel that one sees as they read a book?  The things that jumped out to them might be different than those that jumped out at you.  So suffice it to say that a movie would likely be just a bit different depending on who read the book.  So I honestly don't consider a lot of the movie adaptations that many say are bad, bad...  Just different.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some bad adaptations out there.  Some of the movies mentioned above I haven't seen before.  (Anything by Stephen King Ahem, nor have I read Jurassic Park, it's on my to do list.)  But yea!  Just some thought ramblings from me, don't be mad! <3

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
I loved the True Blood series on TV! I actually bought a couple of the books on kindle but never got around to reading them…

The Harry Potter books are way better than the films… I’ve never really seen what the fuss was about with the films, but people love them. I wonder if anyone here watched the films then read the books? Maybe that makes a difference?
Report Post Tip

Not sure if this counts since it was a show and not a movie - but the Dexter books are awesome. Honestly, way better than the show.

Report Post Tip

All the maze runner series, books were amazing, films were not quite up to the same standard. The books had so much in them that the films unfortunately just did not deliver in my opinion. Great concept and as i said great books, films were average at best

Report Post Tip

Think the question is what movie is better than the book

Report Post Tip

This is an unfair question, since 99% of the time the book will be better since it has 300 pages to explain the universe. A movie has 1 1/2 hrs to maybe 3 if it's pushing it. There are great examples of scenes or characters which are explained better in the movie but overall not a fair question. 

Report Post Tip

I saw this already mentioned above, but I'll echo Michael Crichton. Jurassic Park the movie is one of my favorite movies. I will watch it when I see it on. One of those movies you can jump into any time and enjoy. All that said, the book is so freaking good. If Hollywood insists on making another Jurassic movie, I'd like them to make a new movie based exactly on the book.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: The book was better than the movie!
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL