Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 29 - 12:53:18
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
What did I do now? Started by: Feowyr on Jan 05, '22 06:26

So I had a post I put up and got a mail from a helper who I would think is the #1 source for forums and what should and shouldn't be there. It was suggested I make a change to avoid problems. I reposted just as suggested but now its gone again! Thinking about it Im damned to find any reason it would be taken down. I mean I had the expert on forums (IMO) advising me. 

I went back several pages and many years and havent found a suggestion like this. If its been proposed long ago please forgive me and perhaps look at it again. 

Could we please get a small message explaining why a post is removed? This way not only do people get more familiar with what is expected in here and better at postings but it saves the mods time taking something down multiple times because we think its one thing and fix but in reality its another reason. 

Report Post Tip
If your post was removed you absolutely should have recieved a mail. Especially if you posted the topic. Who's the culprit!
Report Post Tip

Ive actually seen several posts get pulled with no explanation finally figuring out what it was by trial and error

Report Post Tip
Small bit of advice, maybe mail helpdesk with enquiry about your issue next time instead of making a post in the forums to find out what you did wrong.

I'm assuming your referring to your Katvayin post? As I see you posted this again 30 minutes ago. This is the same post you made when under another username, you cannot re-use your material as if it's a new post. You didn't even change anything from the original post. Another user saw your efforts and reported it for being a repost of an earlier thread.

https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/1444733#22169001

That is your original post under the other username. The one you made again 30 minutes ago is going to be deleted in a moment. I hope you now understand that you cannot repost the same content as your previous character and expect to receive rewards on your current character for what is essentially plagiarised work.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
Plagiarised is a bit harsh, it's just copied and pasted. You can't plagiarise yourself.
Report Post Tip

Gunholder you are correct, you can not plagiarize yourself but it is against the rules: https://mafiareturns.com/Rules.php

1. No spamming or abuse via mob mail or in forums. This includes advertising businesses and services in game. This also includes out of game sites. Do not mass mail people at random and you won't have a worry. This also include spamming for points. Copy/pasting/plagiarizing in an attempt for points is considered spamming. Spamming and excessively abusing users is bad, you die. Simple. If you feel you must spam every funeral because you think you're getting points for it—Don't bother.

3. No Spamming/Plagiarism - Spamming/plagiarizing threads or chat to get Hustle or posting points is cheating and immature. This comes with strict penalties. [Original vanilla rules] **

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I get you. The act of plagiarism carries a greater stigma and I'm guessing is a far greater punishable offense than copying and pasting your own work, so I only felt like pointing out the word was levied against him incorrectly. Even if it was qualified with 'essentially', you can't slap someone and call it 'essentially' a murder. That's all I wanted to say, no argument here that he didn't break the rules.

Report Post Tip

The way I look at it to avoid that quagmire mentally is that the words were written by George, and now John is saying them again. From a character perspective it is plagiarism as long as you remove the real player from the equation. Which is the best way to do it as HelpDesk accounts & Sweeper accounts do not have access to user information. 

Report Post Tip

That makes sense, Jen. I actually didn't know you weren't privy to user information, which would make it much more complicated.

Report Post Tip

This response should be slightly sarcastic but please take it in good humor, as this is a joke. (I can't believe I have to do this now) 

Gunholder have you considered reading the updated rules? https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/1537747

Staff Limitations & Interactions - Coders, Developers, Owners, Assistants and Admins, henceforth will be referred to as CDOA [CDOA/HD]

1. Current members of the CDOA have agreed to no longer hold a position of power, they can no longer be a Crew Leader, Godfather, Right Hand, or Left Hand or any similar game instituted position of power. This does not include past CDOA or Help Desk or Street Sweepers who have no access to information that could give them an advantage. [CDOA/HD]

Report Post Tip

My next character StaffLimitationKnower will be much more well-versed

Report Post Tip

Gunholder I mean that is one way to ensure I never ping you in reply. But good, you're gonna learn today boy! 

Also want to blanket address the comment Feowyr made - 

Ive actually seen several posts get pulled with no explanation finally figuring out what it was by trial and error

Every post that is deleted gets a reason given before the action is processed. I am going to speak to Squishy regarding these as I thought they were sent to the personal of the user who's post it was, but it appears this function is not working properly.

Until this is implemented/fixed/whatever should you be curious about why posts are removed feel free to reach out to myself or Helpdesk who can provide an answer.

Report Post Tip

I think it would be an excellent idea for people to get a notification when their post is deleted. 

Not every post gets a notification when it is removed. I have had to write in to bother staff asking why I had posts removed in the past. So not every post removed gets a notification.  Jen you even helped me  with some of these saying that I should have gotten a notification and you would look into why I didn't.  I never heard back.

Report Post Tip

Every post that is deleted gets a reason given before the action is processed. I am going to speak to Squishy regarding these as I thought they were sent to the personal of the user who's post it was, but it appears this function is not working properly.

To my knowledge the reason given is for the Admins, not the users, on the back end side of things Jen.

I agree though, a heads up to the user would be good. I appreciate we dont all have time to reach out to users and explain each step all the time, ordinarily I will mail a user and tell them why their post was removed, or sometimes even mail them asking to make a copy of it before I remove it, so they can have a copy to make their necessary amendments to. As I say though, we dont always have time to do this as we all have lives and in many cases our own characters too to enjoy being on.

And even though its been covered, thanks for that Jen, it is indeed plagiarism GunHolder. Anything in the streets is made by the character, not the user. So another character repeating their words isnt' acceptable and should be quoted, re-using an entire thread could and often is meant with much further punishment than just being deleted, especially when the user has been told on several occassionsa and previously Admin jailed on previous characters for the same issue.

But like Jen said, we dont have access to such info, so I base that opinion on the latter aspect as a user myself rather than evidence on a staff basis, so I didnt punish or push for further punishment for this plagiarism as it would require investigating by the likes of Squishy and he has much better things to deal with.

Report Post Tip

Every post that is deleted gets a reason given before the action is processed. I am going to speak to Squishy regarding these as I thought they were sent to the personal of the user who's post it was, but it appears this function is not working properly.

Until this is implemented/fixed/whatever should you be curious about why posts are removed feel free to reach out to myself or Helpdesk who can provide an answer.

Reply by: Jen at Jan 05, '22 12:14

Thank you! The Katvayin post was my mistake should (and will) add to it to top post for the curious to find. This was not about that but another post "Revenants funeral" which Jen had given advice on when she removed. This is why I made this thread since it was removed after posting per her advice but withno reason given to me. Hope this discussion and her going the extra mile will bring us better understanding when things are taken down and help avoid them.
Report Post Tip

I had a big rant about how other posts I took time to write last night are now gone. I hope this post helps make a change since I feel like my only options are to bother helpdesk every time I post something to make sure its going to pass the scrutiny of whoever is stalking my stuff or do it somewhere else. *cue up the incredible hulk outro music and walk away* was the final line of that rant. 

Instead I think ill log off and relax a bit tonight. Hope something comes of this and I can get back to what I was doing then.

In the meantime maybe someone has a idea why "Elysium" is gone from NY business and maybe LV, I was waiting to move to another city and continue but,,,,

Report Post Tip

whoever is stalking my stuff 

Literally my job

maybe someone has a idea why "Elysium" is gone from NY business

Because its yet another thread you just copied and pasted thus against the rules.  

Report Post Tip

This has been happening for years.  Post get deleted without a mail. Warrior is actullay the only person to ever mail me when my post was removed.     I do notice there is 0 accountability here on all sides. Warrior tells him he should have messaged him in private to handle it. Its's to my understanding that you guys should have mailed him when it was removed as jen stated that's what she was under the impression happens.   Jen blames a function only you guys have access too . I mean at what point do we just do better? Same with gun holder bro if your not new you know whatsup cut the bs.   

You guys give me headaches 😡.

Report Post Tip

The stalker I mentioned is not staff, you are correct Jen you are just doing your job. 

Thank you for the reply on why the other post was deleted. I guess I need to add the city name to the end of the title like,,, other existing posts have done to literally copy the whole thing in every city. Reliable Elysium New York coming up.

Report Post Tip
I'm not sure if that was a joke or your not getting it Feowyr. You cannot copy and paste the same thread into each city business district and simply change the title.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: What did I do now?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL