Get Timers Now!
X

May 13 - 09:47:36
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 [ > - >>> ]
The sins of the city Started by: Deimne on Mar 28, '10 22:08

So, as you'll have seen, war has been declared on Las Vegas. While we'll all agree there is no need for me to lay the cards on the table here, it's something I'm keen to do. As quite frankly, the reasons for it surprise even me.

Now, kicking a city when it's down, it's just not my style. It's something I'd rather avoid. However, in certain circumstances it simply can't be avoided. This, my friends, is one.

Where to start? The reason for the war is very simple. When a city is planning to attack you, you don't let them. I'll happily put my life on the line to protect a New Yorker, so you can be sure as hell I'll put other lives to the sword in order to protect them.

To give this a little context, I'll be brutually honest on the build up. Following the recent war, the Godfather of Las Vegas hit the streets. He demanded that nobody touched the unsponsored Las Vegas residents, a very fair demand given his role as Godfather of the city, that nobody touch the Philly unsponsored members and that all unsponsords were not to be invited. Now, the latter two are fine requests. If he had asked me privately, I'd have confirmed to him that these restrictions were already in place for New York and I'd be happy to oblige with his request. However, to go to the streets and tell my New Yorkers what they can or can't do... not good. This was followed by a fair and deserved tongue lashing towards the Las Vegas Godfather. I took into account his lack of sleep and the exertions of war and didn't take my issues public. We all make mistakes due to fatigue, so I was willing to let this one slide with nothing more than some friendly advice.

Next, following the war, a young mafiosi was cut down on the streets. This gentleman had been a part of the war, joining Santos a war auth as a mere thug. Godfather Cryptic himself had declared on the streets that anyone "gangster and above" would be killed. This, understandably, left this young gangster and the majority of the community with the belief that he would be left untouched. He had sought a home here in New York, one that he was going to be welcomed into, but prior to him being able to wake and accept this invite he was gunned down by balian. This was a grey area, but taking the directions explicitly laid out by the Godfather himself, this wasn't something I was willing to let slide.

I personally insisted that the loss suffered by this young man would be returned to his next of kin. This discussion got heated, with the Godfather admitting that balian, not only a leader but a former hand to the Godfather, had made a mistake... but then demanding that proof be provided for anything more than the bare minimum of compensation to be paid. Needless to say, I reacted in the only manner fitting, by ensuring that the compensation was then raised to more than the person could possibly have suffered. With a little time to think on this, and being aware of my anger rising, the Godfather swiftly agreed and all was made right with the situation... or at least so I thought.

Following all this, one of my leaders was approached by Godfather Cryptic. He suggested that one of the members of that family had been a part of the war and should be taken care of. Now, coming into another city and suggesting punishment should be given out is a SERIOUS move. One you need to be sure of. Within 30 seconds of this 'suggestion', it was easily confirmed by myself and my leader beyond question that this was nothing more than a case of mistaken identity by the Godfather of Las Vegas. This young member has never been part of another family or ever called anywhere home but New York. So, again, I had some choice words with the Godfather pointing out his mistake and emphasising the issues associated with accusing someone in this nature, 100% in the wrong.

Now, after all that, do you see grounds for a war? No? Well, me neither. I had given out fair and justified verbal retorts to each and was happy to consider all matters sorted and closed. Potentially I could have escelated some further, but I'm keen to resolve problems in the most beneficial manner for my city to thrive, not seek out a bloodlust on every corner.

However, it appears some don't share my aims. I can only assume that some or all of the above were the motivation, or perhaps it's simply a thirst for power fuled by greed. To be honest, I neither know nor care. Whatever the motivation, others felt that (while being all but crippled by a massive war and with a city devoid of strength) it would be a good time to start planning an attack on New York. Clever, ehhh?

In a conversation directly passed to me from a Las Vegas hitroom...

««balian»» Soon, I wanna take down NY
««balian»» Soon, not anytime now

Really?

Emmmm, ok. So, when your city have just suffered terrible losses, you've gone out of your way to butt heads with me and New York a number of times and I've gone out of my way to simply warn or forgive you... it's time to plan attacking me? Nice move.

So, I was simply left with no other option. If a leader in a city, someone who previously served as a hand to the Godfather and with the Godfathers blessing to run his own family, starts talking about his wish to attack New York... it's not clever, and at the very least you better be damn sure the room you do it in is secure.

As I've previously said, I'm not at all sure what the motivation for this was, I'll stick with my assumption that it was sparked by one or all of the above issues between the two cities, but nor do I much care. I said I'd lay out a number of the potential reasons just to keep the gossips amongst us happy, but the minute a single life of a New Yorker is being put in danger or planned to be put in danger... I'll have one simple and unquestionable reaction. Remove that danger.

Rest in peace to all of the fallen. Poor judgement by people in positions of power leads to terrible wastes. It's a sad fact of life and a sad cause of death.

Report Post Tip

However, to go to the streets and tell my New Yorkers what they can or
can't do... not good.

I'll happily put my life on the line to protect a New Yorker, so you can
be sure as hell I'll put other lives to the sword in order to protect
them.

Godfather Deimne This is why you are beloved brother. Its an honor to fight by your side.

Godfather Crazynine Ill fight to the Death  for you!!

Don Serotonin I will do whatever you ask of me brother!

Report Post Tip

A cuddly little kitten ambles out in front of Godfather Deimne as he makes his speech. After respectfully waiting until the end, the cat decides to throw in his little bit of characteristically terse, but as always ever so witty, commentary.

at furst i wuz liek Our esteemed kitty here makes a surprised face, raising its eyebrows, perking his ears up, and eyes wide open. but den i lol'd

The adorable little kitten then walked out to the street corner and lapped at the blood washing down the drains. It tastes even better than milk!

Report Post Tip

Dom stoops down to pet the cute little kitteh on her way to the HQ.  Then she turns to Deimne and smiles.

I have to say I was shocked, and frankly it all happened so quickly I thought for sure the God's were involved.  So congratulations are in order, as that was probably the quickest and most well planned take down I've ever witnessed in this thing of ours.  I seriously doubt anyone is going to question your reasoning for doing what you did.  

Nodding towards the Godfather and winking at the kitteh, she heads back down the street and on her way about her business.

Report Post Tip

ChaosSpike in the distance walks up to Diemne.You are very wise with your words God Father have always respected you for that.

Lights a cigar and offers God Father Diemne one.A puff of a hazy cloud of smoke permits into the air slowly.It staggers around like the souls wandering the outskirts.

What you did needs no questioning in my eyes.Good day sir.

Report Post Tip

This speech both saddens and excites me. I know you're anxious to know why, so I'll throw it at ya.

First of all, if anyone was able to read between the lines here, you'd notice someone in a Las Vegas hitroom was sharing info with the New Yorkers. Those quotes don't just "appear" on someone's desk. This is the sad part. The disloyalty of hitter(s) within the Las Vegas crime operation brought about its downfall. Hundreds of souls brought to judgment for one man's loose lips... within his own trusted circle? I have countless pages of notes where my ancestors have discussed takedowns and wars that are never acted upon. In all honesty, if Balian is slapped on the wrist by New York (the second incident listed above), Balian would be a little ticked. He'd go to his (not-so) trusted men, cry his eyes out, make idle threats and be done with it. However, one point interests me greatly. If the disloyal hitter threw classified information at New York (thus showing his inability to be trusted), how can the actual information be of any real merit? Obviously, none of that matters now, and it probably didn't matter when the information came out (since Deimne was acting in his city's interests), but I honestly hope New York and Co. don't go swinging their weight around every time text like that listed above comes around (true or not).

Secondly, I am overjoyed at the whole scene. It's so much more like the old-days. Some information (true or not) comes up threatening the big dog, big dog swings weight around, city dies. Not only does this display the classic "power hunger/thirst", but it also displays the classic "paranoia". Now, that paranoia may have saved New York lives, or slain Las Vegas ones. Absolutely delightful.

Report Post Tip

What you fail to understand, or choose to ignore as I'm sure the case will be, is that plenty of digging went into finding out the exact context behind the discussion was. You'll also notice not a soul will suggest that the above didn't take place, as it was proven beyond any doubt that it did. When the comments made were followed up seconds later with replies by the Godfather of Las Vegas, I fail to see how this is idle threats to his (not-so) trusted men. But kudos on making a feble attempt at some spin here. When a city is 100% in the wrong, it's good to see someone still try and defend these mistakes. Bravo.

Power hunger? Paranoia? Ehhh. As the old saying goes, it's not paranoia if they are out to get you. No offence to Las Vegas here, but if I was carring out an act for 'power', I'm not sure I'd be choosing to strike on an all but decimated city. This was no silly strike for my own shits and giggles, it was punishing appropriately for an horrif mistake made by Las Vegas. Though again, bravo at a valient attempt to defend the undefendable.

Report Post Tip

DEATH TO DEIMNE

Report Post Tip

DEIMNE IM GOING TO SHIT ON YOUR GRAVE WHEN SOMEONE ENDS YOUR WORTHLESS LIFE

Report Post Tip

That will make excellent fertilizer for the flowers that everyone else will leave him.  How thoughtful of you.

Report Post Tip

DEIMNE AND HIS FOLLOWERS WITH ALL GET SHITY GRAVES AND PISS SOAKED FLOWERS DEATH TO DEIMNE!!!!

Report Post Tip

i should be dead already some one kill me for disrespecting your beloved leader

Report Post Tip

The little kitten looks up red-chinned from its evening drink. Someone had shouted out calling for death of a godfather again. Apparently he was too much of a slacker to rank up and do it himself or something. In any case, it seemed to be a perfect opportunity for yet another pithy reply which would showcase the rapier wit of our friend lolcat.

yo yo-yo i herd u liek yos so i put a yo b4 ur yo-yo so u culd yo yo-yo while u yo-yo

Ahhh, yes, mission accomplished! That poor little petty thief would possibly think twice about his ranting in the future. If not, well, lolcat supposed it would just be a perfect opportunity for another taunt.

Report Post Tip

So you really promise you'll come visit me? Awwww, how kind. That's the sweetest thing anyone has said to me all day. Well, except for Phelix. He said 'glucose', but he didn't mean it in a kind way. I look forward to your visits Yo-yo. My ghost shall wander the grave side waiting for the day... though I will promise to look away when you go to poop. I'm sure I'll be a prudish ghost.

Report Post Tip

I am eternally grateful to Godfather Deimne for risking his life to protect, not only me, but my brothers and sisters. And, while I would be proud to die for my family, my Crew Leader, and my Godfather, the promise of getting a shitty grave and piss soaked flowers makes it even more appealing.

Report Post Tip

I must say.. Godfather Deimne, You are fantastic. I have been with New York for just over 48 hours and I can safely say that I feel very safe and secure here. Its not the first place I have felt safe but Its sure the safest in a long time. You have done a great thing tonight to protect your city and I am grateful of that.

Diablos walks over to his Godfather and shakes his hand Thank You Godfather. Diablos then withdraws to the shadows

Report Post Tip

Godfather Diemne, surely you realise that your role in this thing of ours is to entertain us. The LV/PH war was WAY more fun for the outside observer.

This was cold, efficient and clinical, and over in a matter of minutes. Really dude? Couldn't have dragged it out for a while?

The fat bastard sighs.

Okay, okay, maybe your way is 'better' and less risky...

Those back-rooms are rarely completely secure, a lesson my ancestors have learned the hard way. The other thing about those rooms is that they are by their very nature going to have conversations like that, someone is always plotting the next take-down, or musing on how one would go about attacking X city, it's the nature of the beast. You get 20 hitters in one place and the testosterone levels just go through the roof, people start acting bigger and tougher than they are.

In this case, bailan was a leader, that goes beyond braggadocio, that's a leader talking openly about his desire to war another city. Dumb move. Really...

Report Post Tip

Just so there's no confusion, I will expand. There was investigations into this more than just a simple passing comment by a leader (and former hand) under the Godfather.

In a certain context, the above comment could be considered nothing more than a passing joke and said in a situation where similiar jokes were being told. However, this isn't the case. When viewed in context, the comments are seen as being a straight threat to New York.

The comments are moments later replied to by the Godfather of Las Vegas himself. Without so much as a raised eyebrow or a sense of surprise. This wasn't simply 'hitters being hitters' or the casual bloodthirst conversations we've all come to know and love, this was two of the most powerful men in Las Vegas signaling a clear threat to my city.

As for the cold, efficient manner of it all... I'm a cold, heartless bastard. What else can I say.

Report Post Tip

A classic case of loose lips sink ships.

Report Post Tip

I honestly hope New York and Co. don't go swinging their weight around every time text like that listed above comes around (true or not).
[...]
Some information (true or not) comes up threatening the big dog, big dog swings weight around, city dies. Not only does this display the classic "power hunger/thirst", but it also displays the classic "paranoia". Now, that paranoia may have saved New York lives, or slain Las Vegas ones. Absolutely delightful.

Deimne, if only you'd known that Tigger was going to be irked by this, you could've just sat on your old - 'old' no longer feels like an adequate word to be honest - arse and waited in the hope that one day, when they finally attacked us, Las Vegas' first wave would be a massive failure. Then, IF it was, we could have really stuck it to them without the paranoia tag being bandied around. The logic is flawless. Why act in the best interests of our city based on solid information when we can just sit back and see, crossing fingers that shots fall our way and we don't get hit too hard initially. I completely forgot about that cosa nostra fundamental of "greater good to your own city's detriment". Thanks for keeping us street-goers straight Tigger.

This is to ignore the fact that many people would have removed Las Vegas before Deimne did anyway, through accumulation of errors if nothing else. To attempt to question this takedown or pass it off as anything other than valid and warranted is pure folly. Give up.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The sins of the city
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL