Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 25 - 22:05:25
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Book Recommendations Started by: AllDiceNotNice on Apr 13, '18 11:37

Anything by Jim Butcher.

Dresdan files are great urban fantasy, Codex Alera is rockin' high fantasy, and the cinder spires is shaping to be wicked good steampunk.

Report Post Tip

Obviously, Ready Player One if you haven't read it. (Just on the brain waiting for the sequel coming out.) Big thing is what have you already read? Dark Fantasy: Elric series by Moorcock is required reading. Historical Fiction: Fatherland is an awesome Alt History book. The list is endless

Report Post Tip
The Giver series is a fantastic four book series that goes through a "new world" where everyone are assigned jobs when of age and do that for the rest of their life.

It's very dystopian and a fantastic read.
Report Post Tip

Stephen King's 'the dark tower' series is fabulous, less horror than his usual stuff but incredibly good, dark science fantasy.

Report Post Tip

Anything by Terry Pratchett.

Report Post Tip
A random one here. For kids my son bloody loves the brown bear brown bear what did you see series. Yes he's 1
Report Post Tip

the Secret of the Golden Flower

Report Post Tip

For anyone wanting to become a writer, Stephen King has a great book.

Report Post Tip
The Great Wall of China
Report Post Tip
god damnit

The Great Zoo of China *
Report Post Tip
I am more of a non-fiction reader, and reader should read “listener” as I use audible alot.

Here are some of my latest recommendations:

Yuval Noah Harari - Sapians & 21 Lessons for the 21st Century
Robert Sapolsky - Behave, Biology of Human Behavior (this is very meaty and technical, but goes through a primer in the earlier chapters, I am still reading it.)

Both of these authors have done a bunch of TED talks, interesting guys.

Regarding non-fiction,

I started listening (probably because I returned here, heh, to Mario Puzo’s Godfather, the version I picked up on audible is narrated by the voice actor that plays as Fat Tony in the Simpsons, very entertaining so far.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

From a fiction standpoint, I love the Raven King trilogy by Lawhead. It adds a slight twist to the traditional Robin Hood story.

From a non-fiction standpoint, Azar Nafisi's books are wonderful. She is a lit professor from Iran who immigrated to the US years after the revolution. Great first hand perspective of what it meant to be female in a Muslim country during a revolution and the impending fall out of political change. Her books are some of the few I can't part with.

Report Post Tip

The last good book I finished was The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. It has a lot of philosophical undertones that I enjoyed, and it's easy to get through it in one sitting too. It's a shame I haven't picked up a book since I finished this one in November 2019 though.

Report Post Tip

metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky, its also online in audio book form.   Anyone  who has played the metro games, will be familiar with the name, but is a dystopian future post nuclear bombing where people live in the moscow metro.   The way trade and living has evolved, and the search for more survivors in the wider areas.   It also shows even when people have no reason to help and nothing to gain, sometimes they do.    I found parts of it a scary possibility of Russia, especiallly as go further through the books 2034/2035.   

Report Post Tip

The Trial by Franz Kafka, kinda a trip

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Book Recommendations
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL