Get Timers Now!
X

May 04 - 20:35:46
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [ > - >>> ]
POLICY: Helpdesk is not a chew toy or whipping boy. Started by: Squishy on Oct 23, '14 13:41

Demanding helpdesk do certain actions under threat that their player account will die if they do not, let me make this clear, is NOT acceptable in any way.  Demanding and threatening a HDer to break protocol is, simply put fucked up.  To hold their player account hostage is even worse.

This is not a wordy speech, I never would have had thought it needed to be done.

Report Post Tip

I honestly never thought this post would be required but apparently it is.

We have a 0 tolerance towards people threatening a staff members playing account in attempts to bullying them into doing something on a staff level. Anyone doing this will have their account terminated. Anyone getting involved in this type of situation during or after the fact will have their account terminated.

In other words, don’t do it and don’t get involved.

Report Post Tip

You're right... the fact that this even needed to be said is incredibly idiotic. 

Now I don't know the ins and outs of how this came to be so I won't try discussing that but I do have to ask though, why was this not a straight DD? Considering that all other future ones will be terminated. 

I think it's disgusting that this was even needed. 

Report Post Tip

Because I am not doing too well right now,  and I honestly dont have it in me to deal with another 2 weeks of being beaten up by a few users with every turn I take if I DD'd him.

Report Post Tip

While there are often are users who will disagree with some of the reasoning behind DD's, I genuinely can't understand how people could object to a DD over something like this. To hold somebodies playing account to ransom to make them break staff protocol is a pretty gross form of bullying and it's something I'd be very surprised if any of the user base was actually willing to publicly support. HD give up their time and energy for nothing to help MR out, for players to hold their playing accounts hostage for that is fucking horrible.

Report Post Tip

I'll be honest, from what I've read I'm stunned this hasn't led to a DD. I'd have thought actions like this are nailed on for them more than many we've had in the past that have stuck.

Report Post Tip

I think Maria hit the nail on the head with what she said.

Report Post Tip

We have a 0 tolerance towards people threatening a staff members playing account in attempts to bullying them into doing something on a staff level. 

then that should be an automatic DD? nobody regardless of rank could argue with that, the HD's dont need to put the time and effort in that they do. for this to even happen is beyond ridiculous, where would it end if everyone could walk away from that? will he walk away scot free but anyone else doing it die from here on out?

Report Post Tip
Yeah this is just crazy a dd would be justified completely.
Report Post Tip

who in their right mind would hold a playing account hostage to force a HD to help them and not expect a DD?

this i think is one of the rare cases that it should have been a straight away DD and the only ones who would disagree are probably the ones who would obtain the DD

im in the same boat as Maria

Report Post Tip

at the end of the day the game should be enjoyable and as stress free as possible surely. helpdesks not only keep us forgetful buggers in the right they also help and keep new players here thats their purpose, but they have the god damn right the same as us to be able to enjoy the game without that crap

Report Post Tip
I may not know the full story to this but since its my own Godfather in that jail obviously I followed up on it.

My question is why was this taken so serious when via the logs sent to me it was clearly seen as a joke by both people involved.

Correct me if I am wrong but what Johnny asked that Helpdesk to do wasn't even fully possible by his powers without request, and what he threatened to do only one part of it was possible and the second bit was not, obviously making what he said a joke.

This doesn't seem like bullying, or threatening, or whatever the case may be and beyond that anybody who knows Johnny knows that if he truly wanted to shoot somebody, he wouldn't inform them ahead of time as the Godfather notches on his gun by now prove.

Two weeks in Admin jail for a joke seems like a lot and to top it off adding a thread and then saying that you would DD him but you don't feel like dealing with the bitching that would follow is unnecessary. Especially when responding to a comment from somebody who more than likely has no idea what even happened.

And you are right, had you DD somebody for threatening to shoot the Helpdesk persons real account which is doable, as well as his Helpdesk account which isn't even something that can be done and is completely laughable would grant you a lot of complaints as that is absolutely absurd. Surely this part alone showed it was just a joke but what do I know.
Report Post Tip

And here we go the first person to jump on the lets just disagree with whatever Squishy says. I'm really concerned that people are blinded by loyalty that they feel rules can be overstepped just because they like the person overstepping the rule. 

Report Post Tip

I have to disagree with Squishy. Just on the fact that DD'ing someone will lead to people moaning and whining. It opens up Admins to a lot more people moaning and whining about everything in an attempt to protect themselves in future 'complications'.

I just hope thats not the case if the current course of action is followed.

Report Post Tip
I don't disagree with everything Squishy says as I am not that kind of person, clearly you don't know me and I honestly don't care if you do or not, however, when Squishy does things that deserve props I will give him props, when he does things like Admin jail a Godfather for joking with somebody that is that close to him, then yea I have a problem with that.

Especially when the Helpdesk in question is a jokester himself, I cannot tell you how many times me and him have joked about random shit. Its not like this is some super serious guy and it brings in question whether he reported this incident or not.

It amazes me to see people try to defend Squishy and then say that others defending Johnny are blind. Especially when their argument makes complete sense that there was no threat involved. Looking at the logs from it, there was a comment made in the form of a clear joke followed by laughs and what seemed like a clear understanding of a joke from the Helpdesk person in his response to what Johnny had said.

If you cannot understand that then I am not sure I am the blind one here.
Report Post Tip

On a quite different topic, AGAIN, I don't see why administrator feels the need to change units, ranks, or any other data related to a character by hand for such kind of cases.

You either think the action of the player is worth a warning, and you jail them, or you think it's worth death, and you kill them. Starting to manually change their units for example, is wrong on many levels.

It feels not only as a low blow, as in "I can't/don't really want kill you for that, but take that in your face nonetheless", but administrators messing with characters' data should only happen as a last resort, like with a nasty bug or else. And especially not when it is highly unnecessary or that there is absolutely no apparent reason for it.

Moreover, if administrators start to modify things out of nowhere for no apparent reasons... Well, what would prevent someone to think it happens at other times, for other things ? It benefits no one to see such kind of punishments happen. Just stop.

It should be very clear and less case by case, at least in the punishments : warning, jail, death or ban. And not a some units removed for one,  a rank removal for an other, a gun penalty for a third one, etc.

Just make it easier and transparent for everyone.

Report Post Tip

Severe, joke or not, such will not be tolerated. Don't even joke about blackmailing our staff.

iocaste-, I have no idea what you are talking about with "manually change their units" or any of that. He was demoted. It's the same code used if a CL demotes a member. Some other things such as the fact that he was still marked as a GF in the city rules or his crew size going back up to 40 simply took time to notice and be fixed. Those things were not accounted for in the code previously because it wasn't ever needed before.

"And not a some units removed for one,  a rank removal for an other, a gun penalty for a third one, etc." ...I'm not sure what you are going on about here... Units removed? Yeah, demoting someone removes usings. Ranks? Demotions. .... Gun penalty? Are you just making stuff up?

As for using demotion as a punishment, it's fairly new but it will likely be used more often in the future as a first step rather than outright whacking people.

Report Post Tip

Don't threaten a Helpdesks real account over Helpdesk matters, that sounds fair and logical. 

I guess the destiction needs to be made on whether you are joking around with your buddy or joking around with helpdesk. For instance, something might be fine to say to your co-worker that you are also friends with outside of work, but inside of work it might be considered inappropriate, sexual harassment, or so on. 

The point I am making here, do I need to speak to all helpdesk that I am and have been friends with outside of game as an Admin at all times? Where is the line drawn? The argument can easily be made that this was a joke between friends that was taken as a threat between a powerful godfather and a helpdesk. The question I then ask is, why was it taken so seriously? I've lost count of how many times Ace has said he will jokingly kill my account and a lot of people can say the same. Mark it on down with salty, trucked, tier 1 and goat squad. 

Report Post Tip

BanginBadBitches, joking about blackmailing a staff member to use their staff abilities for any reason, should be a pretty clear and distinct line to make. I genuinely don't see how it needs explained any further than that.

Report Post Tip

wanna joke around with someone do it on their playable account, it was wrong at the end of the day, lucky hes still alive

Report Post Tip

News & Announcements
Replying to: POLICY: Helpdesk is not a chew toy or whipping boy.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL