Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 09:45:39
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [ > - >>> ]
Book Recommendations Started by: AllDiceNotNice on Apr 13, '18 11:37

I was wondering if anyone had any decent books they had read lately which they would recommend. 

I tend to like dark fantasy books mostly, historical fiction and a bit of crime also never did anyone any harm.

If the above are to your liking, I recently finished Mark Lawrence's Red Sister which was a decent read. Not as good as his early stuff, but very enjoyable all the same if you need something to while away the hours.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

have you read all of Stephen King if not his books are great to read.

Report Post Tip

His Dark Materials certainly fits into the "dark fantasy" category. It's intriguing, complex and leaves you with a bittersweet taste after every book. 

Report Post Tip

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is pretty good fantasy IMHO (though not dark), Snowflower & the Secret Fan is a historical fiction I read a while back and I enjoyed it, in the way of classic lit go for The Count of Monte Cristo - it's NOTHING like any of the movies (so much better.)

Report Post Tip

I'll throw out The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. It's a series of books that mix some noir detective with wizardry and fantasy. Starts out heavier on the detective and crime aspect, but grows the fantasy as it goes. The series is still ongoing but there are quite a few books.

Report Post Tip

The Defection of A. J. Lewinter

It's not Ibsen sure, but I dug it.

Report Post Tip

Well historical fiction books are often good reads for me as well. I would say that most books by Tim O'Brien are quite good including "The Things They Carried". Although they are most based in fact than fiction, I'd still have to say reading them feels more like historical fiction. 

As for crime, just about anything by Mario Puzo is good. He wrote the Godfather book along with other mafia based books. 

Report Post Tip
The Under the Eagle series by Simon Scarrow.

Following Macro and Cato in the roman legions.
Report Post Tip
succubus blues , decent series.
Report Post Tip

Anything Paulo Coelho, but I guess The Zahir is my favorite.

Report Post Tip
When Breath Becomes Air - Paul Kalanithi

Must read for doctors/nurses and aspiring medical professionals, people who know someone with cancer, people with cancer (depending on the invidual’s need for blind optimism), and every person who will eventually die.
Report Post Tip

The book series of Elric of Melnibone. Awesome fantasy books with a great protagonist.

Report Post Tip

Think & Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

Report Post Tip

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give a few of these a try.

I did try one of Stephen King's books years ago and I should probably revisit it, as I couldn't actually get into it at the time. I hate giving up on books though.

I enjoyed the early Simon Scarrow stuff then it just got too ridiculous for me. I'm alright with stretching things for a story but he just took that too far.

Report Post Tip
Structural Analysis
hibbeler 9th fookin eddition
Report Post Tip

The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho

Report Post Tip

I am fond of The Great Gatsby, so if you haven't read that, do check it out. The movie didn't really do it justice, but I still thought it was good nonetheless. 

Report Post Tip
The five families by selwyn raab. Lengthy book but fairly good.
Report Post Tip

If you have a thing for dark fantasy you might enjoy The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. It's uh.. Well it's extremely wordy though. Pretty insane detail to his writing. Has some dark points for sure...

Stranger in a Strange land by Robert A. Heinlein is a great read as well. Most people knock that off their list pretty early on though... I need to start reading again. 

Report Post Tip

Chaos by James Gleick if you're into getting introduced to great ideas.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Book Recommendations
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL