Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 24 - 01:37:38
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 [ > - >>> ]
Are We in a New Golden Age? Started by: Anton on Aug 03, '20 10:33
ANTON APPROACHES THE STREETS AND BEGINS TO SPEAK...

"FRIENDS, I HAVE DAMAGED MY VOICE SO HAVE TO SPEAK LOUDLY. THIS IS BEYOND MY CONTROL. AS EVER, CONCENTRATE CLOSELY.

I BELIEVE THAT WE ARE IN A GOLDEN AGE. FEW WARS. GREAT LEADERS. A RELUCTANT BUT COMPETENT LEADER OF THE STREETS.

OPPORTUNITY. WEALTH. GROWTH. FAMILY.

YES, WE HAVE MALCONTENTS, EMBITTERED FISHWIVES LIKE TADKNACKERED AND DOUGLAS_MACARTHUR - BUT FOR EVERY ONE OF THEM, WE HAVE A TOMMYDONNELLY, OR AN ANTON, OR A RUBBERLIPS.

SO, WHAT COULD BE BETTER JUST NOW?
Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

A concise, thought-provoking and humble musing.

Not just an incredibly talented writer, but also a skilled orator - even under physical strain. Does your skillset have any limitations, Anton?

Report Post Tip

I am so grateful to live in a time with a Leader of The Streets as skillful as you, Anton. I cannot even remember a predecessor to your title, so far in the rearview has he or she fallen. So another good question - a sidebar, perhaps, to the debate over this golden age - is whether The Streets have ever been led by a more qualified leader? 

Report Post Tip
Cinnamon - I can be overly humble, at times, and people use this against me
Report Post Tip
A good question, Cromwell. CommissarZverev was a strong leader of the Streets.

In many ways, the Father of the Streets.

I learned much from his journals
Report Post Tip

I have to admit to being somewhat confused.

What is 'a leader of the streets' exactly?

One who has an overly large volume of speeches? (my ancestry would probably fall into this category)

One who has a large volume of topics on which to speak?

Or maybe, one who speaks with clarity, humour and originality?

I find the latter sadly lacking.

The golden age question as been asked a million times, this isn't something new but hey, nice 'leadership of the streets'.

I don't mean to be overly cynical, it comes with age but I can't remember the last truly thought provoking subject.

Truly, your mediocrity knows no bounds. 

commence abuse.

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip
I feel genuinely wounded by your omission of my name Anton old boy. Truly saddened by not having made the cut to be listed up there with yourself, Tommy or even Rubberlips. Nothing for it but to improve upon my oratory further I imagine.
Report Post Tip

Cinnamon - I can be overly humble, at times, and people use this against me

Shocking behaviour, although not overly surprising. The weak often latch onto the strong, and when it comes to the streets, you're a heavyweight, good sir!

What is 'a leader of the streets' exactly?

I'll have a go at answering this. I believe the true definition is more about passion and attitude than achievements or word counts. As far as I'm aware, it's the title bestowed to a paragon of esoteric discussion, and is designated to celebrate the ethos of free-speech and healthy debate of an individual. It's a recognition of an informative service, thanklessly provided to the seedy underworld. These are all traits the inimitable Anton shows in spades. He's a man amongst boys when it comes to intellectual debate, ergo 'leader of the streets'.

At least that's my understanding anyway.

Report Post Tip

CInnamon

I appreciate your definition of 'leader of the streets'.  I think I agree with most of what you state apart from the esoteric discussion but.  I might argue that esoteric, by definition, rules out a large propertion of the populace.  Albeit you may retort by suggesting that this world of ours, and it's comings and goings is, by definition, esoteric within the realms of our society, and I suppose I would have to concede that point.

My main concern however, remains.  I don't see anything provocative or truly original being spoken.  In years gone by, my ancestors spoke of those who truly brought together the community via the streets and I just don't see that happening now.

Now, this is not a slight at Anton, who for the most part does his level best to engage with and at times, challenge the community and I understand how difficult this is when so few want to engage.  I would however, like to see any 'leader of the streets' be just that.  Lead. Provoke thought, suggest new ways of living, challenge the accepted norms.

Then, I would happily agree to bestow such a title on such a person. (if you'll excuse me the indulgence)

Report Post Tip

Zebedee, you are judging the Leader of the Streets on the content of this speech alone.  That is an error on your part, one that you should, in fact, must, apologise for immediately.

Thank you.

Now, Anton (the Leader of the Streets), is, as we speak: 

Judging a writing contest

Disciplining an errant Douglas_MacArthur (a man who knows not the concept of loyalty)

Updating his Guide to Succeeding for the malcontents of this society.

And, of course, LEST WE FORGET, Anton (the Leader of the Streets) also wrote a touching obituary for the late Billy_Russo, who was also a close friend of TommyDonnelly.  Tommy gets upset when I send him cash, so I have stopped that.

Anton (the Leader of the Streets) has also led discussions on:

War & Peace

The Competitive Writing Community

Managing & Leading

Zebedee, son, Anton talks the talks and that's why he's the Leader of the Streets.  Can you imagine if Douglas_MacArthur was?  I like Douglas, but his intellect is like the suits he produces: interesting to talk about, but you'd hate to have it yourself.  Anton's descendents put tens of millions of dollars into Douglas's family's pockets.  Out of LOYALTY AND FRIENDSHIP.  The mentoring goes on to this day.

Even now, Anton is giving Douglas lessons on how to defend himself.

And, let us NOT forget, as well as being Leader of the Streets, Anton (the Leader of the Streets) also runs the second biggest family in The Loop - arguably the nerve centre of one of the most important districts in this thing of ours.

Report Post Tip

Anton

I do so admire your output, it truly is impressive. However, having read them, i'm going to stand by my previous point.

As the Incomporable Charles Dickens put it;

'Self praise is no recommendation'

I look forward to your future musings.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $250,000 Tip

Zebedee, Anton has begun discussing himself in the third person to better guide those who resort to the childish refrain of "self praise."

Anton's leadership of the Streets is a subject for discussion, yes, but there is no point in debating the existence of it.  That is idiotic.

Concentrate on the quality of Anton's leadership.  That is a discussion which may bear fruit.  

Report Post Tip

So, let's clear a few things up.

First, 10s of millions? I don't think so. 

Second, no one has taught me to defend myself as of late. I'd be interested to see some proof of this falsity, but of course I won't since there is none.

Third, quit bugging people like TommyDonnelly. 

Fourth, a true leader doesn't assume leadership, it just happens. Men look up naturally to true leaders; no one looks up to you except for bribes.

Now, I'm quite finished on this topic.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

You are correct Zebedee - I was indeed referring to discussions of the inner workings of the mob being esoteric, in that the proletariat cannot truly understand thing thing of ours. I will admit that most listening will, however, understand.

Furthermore, I agree there's nothing provocative or overly original... however, from a fairly well discussed (mundane, even) topic, Anton has managed to generate conversation... some might even say a spirited debate. This is a trait not everyone has, and it is - perhaps debatably - an eviable one.

Do I wish the discussions on the street had more meat to their bones? Sure. Who wouldn't? But, as you said - there is a lingering reticence to participate in public, and to voice a genuine opinion. If Anton can encourage some opinions to the fore, regarding issues of lesser importance, then I would hope more substantial debates will naturally follow, which will be good for all.

I do, of course respect your opinion regarding Anton not being suitable for the title, however. Is there someone else you would prefer to see the title go to? I appreciate you have mentioned your own line being fairly vocal. Would you be interested in campaigning as the opposing candidate for leader of the streets? Because a strong opponent is what makes us improve... and I would hate to see Anton's verbiage being stifled by a lack of opposition.

Report Post Tip

Anton

well, where to start.

'Anton's leadership of the Streets is a subject for discussion, yes, but there is no point in debating the existence of it.  That is idiotic.'

This makes no sense, surely by the stating it is a subject for discussion raises the debate of it's very existence does it not?

I shall concentrate on the quality of Antons leadership, when i bear witness to it ;)

good day.

Report Post Tip

Cinnamon

I may indeed try to be that vocal opposition, although I don't believe it would be oppostion per se, but certainly challenging.

The problem is the fact that i'm so very fucking lazy.

I shall however, endeavour to provide some thoughts and suggestions, albeit from my lowly position.

I thank you (genuinely) for your input and debate.

Report Post Tip

Zebedee - there are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

You degrade yourself with by poking your own eyes out.

Report Post Tip

ahhhhh meaningless platitudes.

Come on Mr third person, you're better than this aren't you?

Report Post Tip

No, he’s not better than that. Anyone can see that at this point.

I am pretty curious though, what exactly is it that makes you believe that you’re the “leader of the streets”? From as far as I can tell, you only speak to cause some type of trouble. It’s the only way anyone will pay any attention to you. Picking fights, speaking down to everyone, running rigged contests aren’t any of the things that should be associated with the “leader of the streets”. A more apt title for you would be “loudest, self serving voice”, that is much more accurate. 

Billy Russo was far and away a better leader here than you could imagine. He gave away grave robs and contracts. He was an actual good RPer. He could create and imagine, that is something you’re incapable of doing. You don’t have half the talent that he did and it still bothers you so much that you keep bringing up his name. Let’s not forget the fact that Billy hated you, everyone could see that, yet here you are still begging to be friends with someone who is gone. 

There is nothing that you’ve said or stated that makes you the “leader of the streets”. Not a single thing. The only reason you’re out in the streets to begin with is because you’re trying to draw someone into an argument. Arguing isn’t a sign of a leader, it’s the sign of someone who is lonely and needs the attention. You proclaiming to be the leader is the exact opposite thing a leader would actually do. Your “leadership” has always been nonexistent. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Zebedee, ask TommyDonnelly about the kind of financial firepower that Anton can produce.  That's the type of leadership that he can bring.

Who else can do that?  NOBODY.  At least, nobody can combine the verbosity, consistency, clarity and excitement that Anton can.

One must ask: who else could possibly fill the Leader's shoes?

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Are We in a New Golden Age?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL