Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 28 - 16:56:56
Page: [ <<< - < ] … 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [ > - >>> ]
Book Recommendations Started by: Ennio_Morricone on Oct 12, '20 17:10

Most of my recent reading has been related to tabletop RPGs (mostly Call of Cthulhu so the Lovecraft cycle and related works) which I really won't recommend to anyone not into that specific hobby (or who doesn't get the appeal of cosmic horror). The last full book I read was Things Fall Apart for school a very long time ago.

While the themes that stuck out to me were toxic masculinity and a culture that enables this behavior which turn the main character into one terrible father, the biggest gut punch is still the ending which reminds you of how many histories, oral traditions, and the like were lost due to conflict, whether it be cultural repression, colonialism, destruction of texts, or other sorts of conflict. I'd recommend it to anyone who has a passing interest in colonialism or African literature (although it's pretty well-known enough for you to have heard of it before).

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

So - definitely not any of the Reacher books - though I do have a favourite line from one- which went something like -

"I hit him a double headbutt - nobody ever expects the double headbutt" - fucking cracks me up every time.

That said - have just finished Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall, which is awesome. It helps to explain geopolitics in a very succinct way

Report Post Tip

Ice Hunt was a really good book, if you're into conspiracy sci-fi

Report Post Tip

The Chronicles of Amber series would be good reading and keep one busy for a while. 10 books in the series. My very first crew leader back in the old .org (ca 2002) introduced me to the series. Perhaps they are available in digital format.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

The Poldark books are really good. I started to read the 2nd book now after seeing the TV shows, the level of depth in them really surprised me compared to the TV shows. I like the mixture of story drama but also an insight in how society functioned back then

Report Post Tip

"I Catch Killers: The Life and Many Deaths of a Homicide Detective" by Australia's most celebrated Homicide Detective, Gary Jubelin.

As an Australian, the cases this guy writes about in this book hit home and make for even more of an interesting read. Hes seen and dealt with some real dark, sick and insane things/criminals that lurk here in Australia but refused to back down from any of it.

Just finished reading a book by Michael Lewis called flash boys a wall street revolt! Highly reccomened based on real interviews from some involved with wall street! Alot of dirty bastards...
Report Post Tip
Recently purchased the books 10X Rule and Be Obsessed or Be Average by Grant Cardone.

I'll circle back when I finish them both for insights. Looking for personal development reading these days since stuck in the house 24/7 due to the VID. Also, where my vaccine?
Report Post Tip

Eat Dirt; yeah, funny title. It's non-fiction, about gut - stomach maintenance. 80% of your immune health or response comes from there, so I'm trying to learn more about this as it helps sleep, energy, brain fog, weight.... you name it.

Walking barefoot, touching trees, not overcleaning and petting dogs/cats are all good :)

Report Post Tip

I recently started reading  'Stranger in a Strange Land' and I've gotta say so far its a pretty good read even though it's fairly old. It's by a sci fi legend Robert A. Heinlein so it's not really a surprise that it still holds up after so many years. 

Report Post Tip

There's a book I once read called - the oath about a Chechen doctor working through the war there who would indiscriminately heal anyone on either side. It talks about how he acted as a safe haven, only to be used by the Russians for propaganda purposes, which endangered his life to the extent he had to seek asylum in the U.S.

Report Post Tip

Can’t beat a sci-fi classic, Dune. 
set the stage as to what science fiction could be. 

also, do androids dream of electric sheep (blade runner) is brilliant 

Report Post Tip

PiHKAL and TiHKAL by Alexander Shulgin and his wife Ann are great. They are about his work as a pharmacologist synthesizing and self experimenting psychoactive drugs. The books include "recipes" for every drug he talks about taking as a fun little extra.

Report Post Tip

I honestly cannot recommend highly enough a book called Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. It was recommended to me by two people a couple of years ago so I decided to check it out and it is absolutely superb!

Here's a synopsis:

A novel of high adventure, great storytelling and moral purpose, based on an extraordinary true story of eight years in the Bombay underworld.

'In the early 80s, Gregory David Roberts, an armed robber and heroin addict, escaped from an Australian prison to India, where he lived in a Bombay slum. There, he established a free health clinic and also joined the mafia, working as a money launderer, forger and street soldier. He found time to learn Hindi and Marathi, fall in love, and spend time being worked over in an Indian jail. Then, in case anyone thought he was slacking, he acted in Bollywood and fought with the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan . . . Amazingly, Roberts wrote Shantaram three times after prison guards trashed the first two versions. It's a profound tribute to his willpower . . . At once a high-kicking, eye-gouging adventure, a love saga and a savage yet tenderly lyrical fugitive vision.' Time Out

It's a very long book, but trust me, you won't want it to end

Report Post Tip
If you like legal thrillers/courtroom dramas, aside from John Grisham, I recommend the works made by William J. Coughlin. The Charley Sloan series is a must read for this genre.
Report Post Tip

The Godfather

The Godfather is the origin of Mario Puzo's fictitious Corleone crime family and is set in New York State just after the Second World War. The novel is divided into multiple stories, more like a series of short stories rather than a single plot, about different members of the family.The writing style of Mario Puzo is quick to read and, with detailed back stories and meaty plots, all the characters sound well thought out. Every now and again, the novel seems to go off on a tangent, and I did not see how the subplots added to the overall core narrative, but it was still fun to read.It's a really good book in my personal opinion

Report Post Tip

I will always remember reading of mice and men it was a very interesting book and I found Lenny to be quite interesting as well one of the things I will always remember is look at the rabbit

This thread must be in watch. So many nice suggestions.

The Godfather is definitely a must-read, since we are all mafia fans, I suppose lol. I would suggest anything from Mario Puzo to be honest. Omerta, The Sicilian, The Last Don...they are not all master pieces, but all entertaining.
Report Post Tip

Someone earlier recommended The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follet, I'd add to that.... there are now three books in the series, The Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, and A Column of Fire. I finished the third one a few weeks ago, I was a little worried that the third book in the series might be pushing it too far, but I was wrong, utterly brilliant!

Report Post Tip
Thanks for the recommendation, Francesco. Strangely, I’ve never actually read anything by Mario Puzo. Love the movies, of course; they are actually what inspired me to join MR for the first time. But I’ve never read the books, and they seem worth checking. I’ll put one on my list for this summer.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Book Recommendations
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL