Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 27 - 15:22:20
Page: [ <<< - < ] … 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 … [ > - >>> ]
Book Recommendations Started by: Ennio_Morricone on Oct 12, '20 17:10

So I'm a huge fan of Wilbur Smith.  One of my favorite novels is Monsoon. It's 16th century priacy.  It's a 800 pager and have been wanting to read it again.  It's been a while.  He writes many novels.  His detail is explicit.  I highly recommend his novels to all of you.  When I am reading I somehow and able to turn off everything and It's almost like an out of body experience.  Until the next time.  Have a great day all.

Report Post Tip
Been a while since i last read a book but i enjoyed reading The Martian. It follows an astronaut who becomes stranded on mars and with limited resources available they have to try to survive and escape the planet.
Report Post Tip

Metropolis by Phillip Kerr is a great mystery thriller set just before the outbreak of World War II. Love this genre and it had be hooked from the first chapter. I would highly recommend it!

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

One of the best series I've ever read was the Red Rising Trilogy (although now on it's way to being an anthology). An incredibly interesting take on the class systems inherent in a society and where people are born into their roles.

The action sequences are written in such an fantastic way that I spent the end of a few of those books with hands on my head!

Report Post Tip

it depends on whether you like fiction, theory or fantasy I suppose.

If you haven't already, sapiens is a fascinating read but I don't think Dickens has every been bettered.

Big fan of the American classics too, Mockingbird is an all time favourite and so beautifully written

stephen kings dark tower series is a fabulous read too

Report Post Tip
I'm trying to read more translations these days. Orhan Pamuk and Haruki Murakami are good starting points, as are Amitav Ghosh and Dag Solsdad. Any other recommendations?
Report Post Tip

Right now, I am reading The Library of the Unwritten by A.J. Hackwith. And I am IN LOVE. It’s fantasy, and revolves around the premise of what happens to unwritten books. In this series, they are sent to a special place in hell that serves as part of the afterlife for ‘unauthors’ (i.e., writers who never write/finish their books). I’m only a few chapters in, but the concept, character development, and world building are pretty engrossing. It’s one of the few truly unique books (series) that i have found in a VERY long time. I actually found the sequel first. And it looked so AMAZING that I forced myself to start at the beginning. And I’m SO glad that I did.

Report Post Tip

I've suggested If On a Winter's Night A Traveler before and I'll suggest it again. It's a beautiful postmodern piece of art that doesn't get enough credit. The Phantom of the Opera and The Unbearable Lightness of Being are also two books I enjoyed recently.

Report Post Tip
I've only ever read the Lee Child books. The Jack Reacher series is quality. I started reading one whilst travelling the East Coast of Australia. I Then made it my mission to read them all. Constantly searching second hand book shops
Report Post Tip
I would recommend The Book Thief. Perhaps a bit too “teenagey” for a big crowd here, but the idea of having death as a narrator is very interesting - and while he is omniscient, much of the story is told through the lens of the protagonist. The prologue, something I almost always skip after a quick skim, was also really encapsulating.
Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

If you're into ~self-help~ books, i'd recommend Ikigai and The Moment of Lift :)

I've just started reading The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fck and I find it quite interesting tho it's my first time to read a book written by someone who sounds really drunk lol

Report Post Tip

I do love the Patriot Games but anything from Tom Clancy works. John Verdon has some great books out there a well, and I did truly love the Think of a Number. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

These books have probably already been suggested but, The Wheel of Time series of books is enjoyable. I have actually reread them a couple of times. There is also The Magician by Raymond Feist, that series is also enjoyable too and the Philip Pullman trilogy.

Report Post Tip

Slaughterhouse 5 is a very good book. The plot can be seen as a bit bizarre, but I think it perfectly encapsulates the psychological tolls that war has on people. The theme of senseless carpet bombings is probably also a very provocative one, seeing that it was written pretty near the aftermath of WW2. The book also has an alternative title, which I enjoy more than the original: The Children's Crusade.

Report Post Tip
When it comes to books, you need to stick with the classics.

1984 is such a good book and a must read.

Kr
Asher
Report Post Tip

As a follow up to 1984, I would also recommend the Fahrenheit 415. (Do not even consider watching the movie though, as it is pure shite) 

Report Post Tip

So I'm in the middle of this book called Haroun and the Sea of Stories. Or, to be more precise, re-reading it after a long time. It's written by Salman Rushdie and I still think it's one of the best books I've read. Even though it's technically children's literature, and I read it for the first time in my teens, I feel like you gain new perspective every time you read it.

Report Post Tip
Harry Potter.. only books I've ever read all the way through.. being said, Metro 2033 is decent.. Russian set after a nuclear war.. people living in tunnels under ground
Report Post Tip

My favorites books are suspense or supernatural like vampire, angels etc themes.

Some writers: Nora Roberts, Leon Uris, Michelle Read, Robert Cook.
Report Post Tip

I really loved to read The Harry Potter books. Much better then watching them on the tv.
Also a fan of real crime stories!

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Book Recommendations
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL