Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 28 - 15:06:49
Page: [ <<< - < ] … 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [ > - >>> ]
Book Recommendations Started by: Ennio_Morricone on Oct 12, '20 17:10

I just read Blood meridian, that was amazing but very very dark. Kind of a gut turner.

I just listened to the Christmas Carol......BAH HUMBUG!

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

"A grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.

Meet Ove. He's a curmudgeon, the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him the bitter neighbor from hell, but must Ove be bitter just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove's mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents' association to their very foundations, "

Fahrenheit 451 probably one of the best books I have ever read. Its just soo good that it is a must read if you have free time or not.

Some other great book are the LOTR and the Potter series are also great but unfortunately most people know them by the movies and not the books

There's this story about a anthropomorphic cat who does NOT want to eat green eggs and ham, so he sings about it and honestly it really made me think as a child. Then he eats it and realizes it isn't so bad, and that's an important lesson-- I think.

Very good book. 10/10.

Report Post Tip

I recently got into this book series called 33 1/3 where each title focuses on a single album, its background and research and how it was made and produced.  They're on the shorter side - around 120-180 pages, so they don't drag out but they're pretty hard to lay down once you get into the thick of it.  The books for Tusk and Sound of Silver are fun reads.

Report Post Tip

How Much of These Hills is Gold by C Pam Zhang. A decent historical fiction novel set in California during the gold rush. It was a bit of a slow starter but It was well worth sticking with it until the end. Well worth picking up if you like Westerns/Historical fiction. 3.5/5.

Report Post Tip

The Clown by Heinrich Böll, 100 years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov

Report Post Tip

I have a weird relationship with reading. For something I love, I find it very difficult to start. I tend to read a lot when traveling, from the airport to the hammock, it just is perfect to pass time and relax. For easy accessible things, I like the series of Clive Cussler; a little bit of action, travel and science go hand in hand making for very easy and enjoyable reads.

For something a bit more demanding, but still accessible I'd say, anything from Paulo Coelho. The alchemist is a good starter as you pick up a classic right away and understand what the author is about. However, I would recommend The Zahir for a more intriguing read. I guess Coelho would be my favorite author if I had to mention one, if only it was that I casually slip some quotes from him into conversations when appropriate :)

Report Post Tip

I'm reading 100 Years of Solitude by Garcia Marquez now and yep, would def add a +1 for that recommendation. I loved his Chronicle of a Death Foretold as well. As far as favorite authors go though, mine would be Chuck Palahniuk (super far genre from Garcia Marquez I know lol) -- as someone who gets too easily scared by horror movies, I can only get my dose of suspense through books since I'm sure there won't be any jumpscares... lol :c

There is a trilogy that I absolutely love and love to read over and over again and that is The Order of The Sanguine Series by James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell. The first book The Blood Gospel is amazing and I've it at home. The other two books I can't find unfortunately, so I have them as e-books. 

Love the history aspects and all the different places and characters. Almost felt like I was there.

If you'd also consider books on philosophy or others on that same wave length these are my favorites:

Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday
How do you kill 11 Million People by Andy Andrews

Report Post Tip

Thanks DerKindestod added the blood series to my list!

I'm more a Sci-Fi aficionado. Check out anything by Peter Hamilton, first shout - The reality dysfunction

Report Post Tip
The four Kings - A book if you are into boxing, can read about the fights then go onto YouTube and rewatch them!

Hav not read a bad Irvine Welsh book, one of my favourites is reheated cabbage a wee collection of short stories, bizarre and hilarious
Report Post Tip
Anthem by Ayn Rand. Very under rated book I read in high school
Report Post Tip

Thanks DerKindestod added the blood series to my list!

I'm more a Sci-Fi aficionado. Check out anything by Peter Hamilton, first shout - The reality dysfunction 

Evil_Clown Thank you, I will check it out! I'm not extremely into sci-fi, but when it comes to books I like to broaden my views and read many new stuff. 

I just started reading a series about Robert Hunter (Chris Carter is the author) and even though I started with book 2 it's sooo good! It's gruesome and some scenes really is creepy, but damn the book is so good! Anyone who likes crime HAS to read them!

Report Post Tip
The one I’m reading at the moment is the Stornoway Way by R Stornoway ( not there real name). Dictated by a drunken Scot living in Stornoway there’s a lot of humour, it’s dark and and is a great discovery of island life. Probably need to be a Higlander or Islander to get it.
Report Post Tip

Although they're very common high school literature books I've always enjoyed reading The Outsiders, That Was Then, This Is Now or any other books by S.E. Hinton that link in together. The way the characters interact and different points of views on the same events across the books are really interesting.

Report Post Tip

Another book I'd recommend, which has probably been read by most people already, is To Kill a Mockingbird by Nelle Harper Lee. I love the depiction of racial injustice through the eyes of the narrator, who is a young girl of six years at the start of the novel. Reading the book through her lens forces the reader to interpret events on their own, which makes the book very educational

I haven’t read any brag worthy books lately to be honest. Nothing has really grabbed my attention. I do enjoy reading though so may try a few of the titles mentioned in this thread and then if that changes then I’ll come back and post :)
Report Post Tip

dune is good book i like movie lot there more star wars books out there i like dune lot more if dune had come out when star war did it be best

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Book Recommendations
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL