Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 27 - 18:14:44
Page: [ <<< - < ] … 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 … [ > - >>> ]
Book Recommendations Started by: Ennio_Morricone on Oct 12, '20 17:10

The happiest Man on earth - was about a gent that survived the holocaust, yet kept a brilliant perspective of life. really awe an inspiring 

Any Stephen kings books, i enjoy Fantasy books though just as much as real life tales

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Personally I'm really into fantasy so The Lord of the Rings is an obvious recommendation. Also A Song of Ice and Fire is amazing, I'm about half way through the book series and can't stop reading. The later is what the TV show Game of Thrones is based off of. I also heard that Wheel of Time is a great fantasy series of books. The author died before finishing it but it was finished by someone who knew his work well and was provided notes.

Report Post Tip

I just wanted to give a shout out to y'all.  I've been trying to get back into reading so this list is super helpful :D

I can't say I have read many books but a while ago I used to smoke and I wanted to quiti had tried loads of different ways but had no success until I found a book.

allen Carr's easy was to stop smoking it took me about a week to get through but after I finished reading int I completely stopped smoking 

Report Post Tip

There is a book called The Foundling by Stacey Halls. It's such an amazing story. 

It's about a woman who left her daughter at a place for unwanted babies and it's not that she doesn't want her baby, but that she can't afford her, anyways she comes back six years later to get her daughter back but finds that someone else has come and taken her baby away.

She does everything she can to get her daughter back.

Well it's just such a good story. Loved reading it. 

Everything that the best writer Stephen King has released, has always been my best writer to read all books that he has written.

Report Post Tip

I think I shared my non fiction preferences in here previously.

As far as fiction is concerned - I like the crime-dramas.  The Bosch series is probably my favorite.  It's a quick and dirty read.

Report Post Tip

While I am not usually big on the fantasy genre, I can highly recommend 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. With the title making an obvious reference to Orwell's classic, it is no surprise that this book is also a dystopia. In the book, modern Tokyo is quickly warped from reality to the absurd - but Murakami still manages to accomplish a modern-day depiction of the city, which could've easily been swapped out for any metropolis.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

I was a fan of 2 old science fiction books from the 60's. One was called "The adventures of the stainless steel rat". It was about this guy who is an expert thief and con man. He gets caught for the first time in his life, by a group called 'The agency' and is forced to work for them. 

The other was a book called "The starchild trilogy" I really cant even begin to summarize the book other than to say, In the future, mankind is ruled by a giant supercomputer called 'The plan of man'. It gets pretty crazy even from the get-go.

Report Post Tip

Everything and anything by Michael Connolly. He's the man behind Bosch on Amazon Prime, The Lincoln Lawyer starring Matthew McConaughey and Blood Work starring Clint Eastwood. I don't think its possibly for the man to write a bad book.

Report Post Tip

If you want to take on fantasy from a more "modern" take, check out Jim Butcher's Dresdan Files and Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles.

Both are set in current day US, but use various chunks of Fantasy and mythology to tell the stories. Not retellings mostly, New stories using the older characters and archtypes.

If you prefer your fantasy more traditional, Butcher also has a 6 book series, The Codex Alera, which  is a real doozy of an epic adventure tale.

Report Post Tip

I like most of the works of Paulo Coelho and they make for fantastic reads. But as an easy recommend, easy-to-pick-up-and-read story in a day I'd have to say "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. A cute little story, nice to read to kids, but strong message for adults as well. It follows a pilot, crashed in the desert, who meets a prince of his own planet that visits earth. An exploration of life follows.

If you want a movie is available, but nothing compared to the book (but I guess that is what commonly happens).

Report Post Tip

Prisoners of geography by Tim Marshall is awesome - true insight into how geographical constraints or boundries determine the psychology of nations.

Report Post Tip

For me one of the best books i've ever read, although he is sorta famous in Europe but i think in the US he's not too well known is ken folett and his master piece of 'the pillars of the earth'. His writing style is very fluid and all the research and care he puts in his books to make the story set in the historical phase accurately makes it a lot more interesting to read.

Report Post Tip
I read quite often, especially normally when travelling (which I do regularly) and I’m not one of these types that can sit with a kindle, I need a physical book. Due to the current circumstances I had not been reading much lately. However, a friend gave me a recommend last week and I read the whole thing In two days. The book is called The Midnight Library and it’s by Matt Haig. I’d really recommend this book to anyone, it was a brilliant read.
Report Post Tip

'A Promised Land'

Putting a dent into it. But its a thick book and will require some time to finish. Enjoyable in the sense, that its sarcastically funny at times. Also very poignant when it needs to be. In all a fantastic insight into, one of the more recent presidents that have impacted us on a big scale. 

Report Post Tip

From 'To Kill A Mockingbird' to 'Wuthering Heights', these are the literary creations you have to experience

Report Post Tip

I need my own book recommendations. I am so glad that this thread exists because it has given me a lot of different ones to add to my own list.

I haven't read anything too recently but if you like Historical Fiction stuff... The Huntress by Kate Quinn

Report Post Tip

Any of John Grisham's older novels.

It's been a while since I read much to be honest, so I haven't read a lot of his newer books. My mother had every book he wrote, at least all of the legal thrillers when I was younger so I ended up reading a lot of them. A Time To Kill is probably my favorite of his books. 

Report Post Tip

Matt Haig is a really nice writer. He has a book called Humans which is essentially about an alien who takes over someones body/likeness. But there is a book called The Midnight Library which has only just come out but is beautiful! A library exists where you can read about how your life would turn out if you'd made a different choice. Thousands of books exist just about you. Would you read them?

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Book Recommendations
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL