X

Mar 29 - 12:45:30
Page: [ <<< - << - < ] … 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [ > - >>> ]
NFL Baby Started by: ThomasCrown on Oct 16, '20 07:18

@thomas_crown interested in your take on your Jets trading darndy darnold 

Report Post Tip

thomascrown I fail

Report Post Tip

Was going to save this response. For when I actually HAD to post here. But hey, whatever. Lets go! Wayne

So I think the prism we look at this trade needs to be adjusted of sorts. Is Sam Darnold the problem? I think not. Maybe he is? I guess well find out. However, I think there is more to this decision than just Sam Darnold himself. 

So for example. Sam is up for a extension next year. The new Jets administration wanted their 'guy'. So choose to move on from him. Were going to see Baker demand like 120mill guaranteed deal that could run into as far as 150mill. Worth it? Idk. Allen is going to demand something closer to Dak money. Worth it? I really dont know. One year of looking good, does not merit a contract that could implode a teams cap space. 

However, back to the topic at hand. Sam. Jets previous front office, drafted Sam. And then choose to give Trumaine Johnson 100mill to parade around the field, like it was a park. Never gave him a OL, I bet you couldn't even name the best WR Sam EVER played with. The front office did everything they could, to not help Sam. 

And obviously, when the new GM got hired 2 years ago. I felt this coming. And he more or less stamped this decision last year. When he let Robbie Anderson walk. Cut the OL and basically stripped the team down to studs. The writing was already on the wall. The only way, Sam was going to survive. Is if he showed something that was exceptional. Playing decent, with practice squad players around him and no defense. He failed, as thats what he was setup to do. And obv....Gase!!!!

Now lets look at the other side. Baker damn near went up in flames, even with the Browns throwing the Kitchen sink at him. If Sam had the offensive fire power, that Baker has. We would be having a very different conversation. Alas, thats what happens when you have two stud RB's behind you. Two top WR's and decent TE's....to catch your balls. And then the Browns did something good for once. Actually addressed the OL last year. The dividends were paid with a playoff win. Also, the coaching change showed....and matters. Alas, is he going to be deserving of that contract? Yo no se!!!

On to the proverbial 'superstar' in waiting. Josh Allen. They gave him a OL their first year. Finished that OL the 2nd year. Gave him wrs the 3rd year. And then gave him a top 5 WR the 4th. And here we are. Saying that hes a superstar. I think Diggs makes, him look so much better. But then again, give the devil his due. Brady, wasn't all that great when he started. Had championship level defenses that carried him. He had wrs that helped him out. In time, he DEVELOPED into this LOAT that we see now. And I think if diggs was no longer there and Allen goes backwards. His next extension is going to be a colossal failure. Ala, Drew Bledsoe. 

So back to the original question. Sam! I think he will do well in Carolina. I wish the kid the best. Kids got talent, and had nothing to work with. Hes got a OC thats light years better than, anything he has ever worked with. He has a WR core that is similar to his USC core. And hes in a small town, where he will have ZERO pressure. The kid has a chance to rehab his career. I hope he does. He could very well end up being the next Kirk Cousin in the NFL. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Im going to go ahead and say Zach Wilson and Mac Jones are going to be very average QBs, probably busts. 

Mac Jones is just too obvious, college just didnt prepare him for struggling in the crappy NFL team that is going to draft him.

Zach Wilson.... is just a hunch, he ends up on the Jets and the Jets crash and burn like they always do. In a year he is "seeing ghosts" like poor Sam Darnold.

You heard it here first.

Report Post Tip

ThomasCrown I meant to get to this sooner but like you I was waiting for the hustle task. 

So addressing your first bit, where you focus on my question before suddenly morphing into the mafiareturns Colin Cowherd.

I bet you couldn't even name the best WR Sam EVER played with.

To be fair, this is quite arbitrary because who I feel like his best WR was might not be who you say it is. But I would say Jamison Crowder, if not Anderson. Fairly similar wideouts, but definitely not number 1 guys, and you're right, not anywhere close to OBJ/Landry.

I personally have never rated Sam Darnold. Pre-draft 2018, I had him ranked behind Baker, Allen, and even Josh Rosen. I was so worried the Browns would draft him. I wasn't sold on Baker, and to be honest I'm still not, but I'm quite glad we didn't take Darnold. 

You make some very good points about supporting cast, coaching, and front offices. Quarterback is the most important position in the game, but unless you have someone like Elway, Marino, Manning, etc out of the draft, that ONE guy isn't going to turn your franchise around. He needs good players in front to protect him, and good players outside to catch his balls. He needs a coach that can fit the offense to his skillset, not try to fit him into the scheme. He needs a front office who will support him, and give him time to grow.

You seem to forget this, but Baker didn't have any of those things when he got here. We hadn't won a game in nearly two years. Our leading receiver in 2017 was DUKE JOHNSON. A fuckin running back. Yes, we signed Landry, and drafted Chubb, so he had a couple of decent weapons by the end of the year. But Landry is not a true #1 "X" receiver, such as Hopkins or Mike Thomas. He operates best out of the slot. The issue there is, a slot guy can't really be effective without threats on the outside, which we didn't have in 2018 (Antonio Callaway was our second best receiver, no longer in the league.) Chubb came out of the draft with a long injury history, and we didn't really know if he would stay healthy. He's been an absolute steal to be honest, I don't think anyone had him projected better than the 5th best RB in that draft, let alone being a top 5 RB in the league. I don't think anyone would have bet that he'd have the most rushing yards and TDs out of that entire RB class. 

Now lets look at the other side. Baker damn near went up in flames, even with the Browns throwing the Kitchen sink at him. If Sam had the offensive fire power, that Baker has. We would be having a very different conversation. Alas, thats what happens when you have two stud RB's behind you. Two top WR's and decent TE's....to catch your balls. And then the Browns did something good for once. Actually addressed the OL last year. The dividends were paid with a playoff win. Also, the coaching change showed....and matters. Alas, is he going to be deserving of that contract? Yo no se!!!

I highlighted the problem there - Kitchens.

What in the flying fuck the Haslems were thinking is beyond me. Dude had no business being a head coach, and he stunted Baker's development.  We should have stuck with Gregg Williams. But alas, this is the path that got us to Kevin "Coach of the Year" Stafanski, so I'm alright with it in hindsight.

You are correct, currently Baker is surrounded by talent. The Browns have built a fantastic roster around him, unlike they ever have before. This year is put up or shut up year for Baker for sure. If he leads us to the promised land, we pay him. If not, I think they move on and try to plug in a decent veteran playing for one last chance at a superbowl and draft someone to groom. Personally I'd prefer sticking with Baker. He may not be the best in the league, or even the division, but he's the best we've had since Kosar.

So back to the original question. Sam! I think he will do well in Carolina. I wish the kid the best. Kids got talent, and had nothing to work with. Hes got a OC thats light years better than, anything he has ever worked with. He has a WR core that is similar to his USC core. And hes in a small town, where he will have ZERO pressure. The kid has a chance to rehab his career. I hope he does. He could very well end up being the next Kirk Cousin in the NFL. 

He'd better, or the Panthers lose this trade, Hard. They gave up too much in my opinion, for him to be anything less than their starter and leading them to the playoffs. Carolina's roster isn't much better than the Jets' was, so I'm skeptical. They have a great coach and arguably the best running back in football when healthy, so maybe he takes a leap? I just don't see it, their line is average and their wideouts have always underperformed their hype (probably lack of QB level). 

Report Post Tip

NostraMRdamus here with some more predictions

49ers are going to draft Trae Lance.

Broncos will move up to 4 to draft Justin Fields

I'll say more as future me sends the info.

The taxes on these time traveller postcards are crazy, but I do it for the love of the game...

And you people. For the love of you, the fans.

Report Post Tip

As soon as this covid clears' up we might have a better season than last year,i myself think it will be better,  I pray.

Report Post Tip

ThomasCrown. Whether you like it or not... TB12 once again next season! I am calling it, even though I am a Patriots fan. I will always love Mr. Tom Fucking Brady. He is the GOAT and I am glad I was alive to watch him succeed!

Report Post Tip

I have to do a facepalm every time I hear someone call Brady the GOAT.  Seriously, he's not even top ten.  The number of championships you win does not determine how great a player one is.  If that were true, Robert Horry and Michael Jordan would be on even par.  Brady developed into a great QB over time (as someone said before), but his talents rest in studying harder than the other guys and the on-the-field calm and decision making that comes with extensive experience.  As far as pure skills?  He can't scramble and doesn't have a cannon arm.  He has been lucky enough to be a system quarterback in perhaps the greatest FRANCHISE of all time.  I have to admit, I was surprised by his relative success in Tampa, but let's not forget, before TB got there, they had two top-ten wide receivers with fucking Jameis Winston throwing the ball. So yeah, there's that.

Report Post Tip

Draft is coming up. First time in forever the Browns don't have anything they need going into it. We're just looking for depth. 

Report Post Tip
Brady not too 10? Lmfao you crazy he’s number 1 I didn’t know you had to have cannon arm or the need to scramble to be the GOAT man got more than just rings . He as the stats as well . Never really had that true number 1 receiver what . Man got all these stats and rings. Coming in at what a 7th round draft pick ? Damn the hate is real
Report Post Tip

Chubb came out of the draft with a long injury history, and we didn't really know if he would stay healthy. He's been an absolute steal to be honest, I don't think anyone had him projected better than the 5th best RB in that draft, let alone being a top 5 RB in the league. I don't think anyone would have bet that he'd have the most rushing yards and TDs out of that entire RB class. 

Not that it's an important point but that's definitely not true, people were super high on Chubb's talent and it was practically consensus that Seattle reached hard on Penny and the Pats reached on Michel - who was Chubb's backup in college - before Chubb was taken right at the top of the 2nd round. He had big talent, big draft pedigree and lots of fans. But anyway, agree that it is pretty preposterous of the Panthers to bet that much on Darnold when they have a roster that is going to seriously struggle to play out a .500 season. He can checkdown to CMC for a thousand yards at least. 

Report Post Tip

Tom brady is the #1. His below avg physicals only show how truly great he is, that his genetics aint that good and he also overcame that, cmon man.

Bombshell!!! Future me just told me Pats will draft Kyle Trask. Its confusing but I think it will be in 1st round

Bengals will draft Kyle Pitts because they dont mind their QB having a bad oline

Report Post Tip

Ive been aching to write to response in this tread for a few weeks now, with the post FA movement. However, since HP didn't cooperate with that. And the fact that Draft came up. I sorta decided to wait and see. And do a whole big response. 

However, with all that said....How is everyone feeling about their drafts so far? 

Report Post Tip

Think the Brownies have hit home runs on nearly every pick. I think Newsome could end up being our second outside corner over Greedy Williams. JOK dropping so far into the second round was an absolute steal, a lot of people were surprised we didn't take him at #26. He's a first round talent for sure, and he fits our base scheme perfectly. I also really like Anthony Schwartz, he's the type of chess piece NFL OCs love, they can move him all over the field and create mismatches, and the dude is stupid fast. Perhaps a special teams impact maker straight away. The O/D linemen we took are depth/project picks, and it's so nice to say that rather than us looking for potential starters that deep in the draft like we have the last quarter century.

Not that it's an important point but that's definitely not true, people were super high on Chubb's talent and it was practically consensus that Seattle reached hard on Penny and the Pats reached on Michel - who was Chubb's backup in college - before Chubb was taken right at the top of the 2nd round. He had big talent, big draft pedigree and lots of fans. 

QuackersFeatherbeak I know you're dead but I didn't see this before so I feel like I should respond

NFL.com

Has the size and mindset of a primary ball carrier, but lacks any one element of his game that jumps off the tape when evaluating. Chubb isn't overly elusive, but he does a good job of running through arm tackles and initial contact with lower body strength and contact balance. Chubb could become an average NFL starter, but his lack of third down value may end up hurting his draft stock.

Prospect Grade

GOOD BACKUP WHO COULD BECOME STARTER

Bleacher Report

In the right scheme, Chubb can be a Day 1 starter if he's asked to pound the ball between the tackles and not be a slasher or a receiver out of the backfield. The issue is that the NFL is trending toward more speed at the position, and Chubb's lack of burst and injury history make him a concern despite the fact that he's a great football player.

GRADE: 6.70 (Mid-Round 2)

CBS.com

2018 Draft Class RBs  Rankings

• 01 Saquon Barkley. 1 / 8. ...
  • 02 Derrius Guice. 2 / 8. ...
  • 03 Kerryon Johnson. 3 / 8. ...
  • 04 Sony Michel. 4 / 8. ...
  • 05 Rashaad Penny. 5 / 8. ...
  • 06 Ronald Jones II. 6 / 8. ...
  • 07 Bo Scarbrough. 7 / 8. ...
  • 08 Akrum Wadley. 8 / 8.

The Sporting News

4. Nick Chubb, Georgia (5-11, 227): The other half of the record-setting duo he formed with Michel, it's lazy to pigeonhole Chubb as the between-the-tackles banger. It's a job he did with a great degree of effectiveness, but it's worth noting his timed speed at the combine (4.52) was actually better than his Bulldog wingman's. Chubb also trumps Michel when it comes to ball security. He'll have to prove he's more than a two-down player in the NFL, but Chubb could be fantastic if dropped into a zone-blocking system. Injury history could ding his stock. Projected: Round 2 

(Ranked behind Michel, Guice)

There are plenty of smaller scouting sites that also ranked Chubb below some of the other, less accomplished running backs to come out of the class, and a few who ranked him #2 behind Barkley. But again, he consensus was, obviously, that he was a talented back with injury history, and could be above average if put in the right scheme and stayed healthy. It's also false to say he was Michel's backup - They both played quite a lot, much how the Browns currently use Kareem Hunt with Chubb, sort of a thunder and lightning approach.

Report Post Tip
Not too many surprises at the top of the draft I don’t think.

Waddle over Smith I see.. more explosive and a bigger WR but Smith is crafty af and so so smooth.

Thought Justin Fields dropped lower than expected and Bears have got good value at that pick.

Has Bill B got his replacement Brady.. time will tell whether Mac is as good without the best offence by some way in the league..
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

My favorite team is the Green Bay Packers because I am from that area we always wore the cheeseheads and it was very very fun growing up I will always remember the Green Bay Packers

Report Post Tip

My second favorite team is whoever is playing the Packers.  I think that Cleveland probably had one of the best drafts if not the best.  Im also very happy the the Vikes made an attempt at putting together an offensive line.  Im looking forward to the season.

Report Post Tip

I told you guys 49ers would get Trey Lance! I told ya!

There must have been some fracture in time because Broncos decided to trade for Bridgewater instead of trading for #4 pick and getting Justin Fields

And how Mac dropped to the Patriots lap is crazy. They would have gotten Kyle Trask for sure. He ended up in the bucs, and will be a good heir to Brady

Bengals couldnt get Pitts because Atlanta are idiots who dont care about their dead defense. But like I said, the bengals dont care their QB cant stand alive in the pocket, so they got a WR

Report Post Tip

Every since Randy Moss retired from the NFL, I've stopped watching it.

He's the greatest WR no debate. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: NFL Baby
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL