Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 29 - 09:42:35
Page: [ <<< - << - < ] … 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [ > - >>> ]
A random fact you recently got to know Started by: Protea on Apr 13, '21 10:49

I found out a while ago that about 30% to 40% of power in the UK is produced by green energy - mainly wind power (see the snippet from the internet search below).  The change from mainly coal and gas power is absolutely amazing and was done without really publicising it.  

According to the National Grid, 42.3 per cent of electricity from 2022 comes from fossil fuels compared to 35.9 per cent from renewable sources such as solar, wind, hydroelectric, nuclear power, and biomass, which comes from burning food, plants, and organic matter.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip
Penguins can convert salt water into fresh water, but contrary to popular belief , they don't do it directly

They have a gland between their eye, above their nose, called the supraorbital gland, which filters NaCl from their blood.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

A chicken once lived for 18 months without a head.

Mike the chicken's incredible feat was recorded back in the 1940s in the USA. He survived as his jugular vein and most of his brainstem were left mostly intact, ensuring just enough brain function remained for survival. In the majority of cases, a headless chicken dies in a matter of minutes.

Henry VIII was known to award monasteries that he seized from the Catholic church on a whim to people who delighted him over the course of his day, like a baker who made a really good pudding or a courtesan who gave him a particularly good spanking

Report Post Tip
I recently learned that geese almost never poop when they fly. It's either before take off or on landing.one of the very few birds to do so.
Report Post Tip

One of the driving forces behind YouTube's creation was the founder wanting an easy place to find the video of Janet Jackson flashing at the Superbowl. This is similar to how Google Images was pushed forward by its developers wanting an easy place to access the picture of Jennifer Lopez in that famous revealing dress. So it turns out being a lonely, horny nerd is a great shortcut to a lucrative enterprenurial spirit.

Report Post Tip

One of the driving forces behind me creating an account on YouTube and logging in for the first time was that I wanted to find a video of Janet Jackson's boobies. In fact, boobies in general. Kat Dennings. Scarlett Johansson. Ellie Kemper. Lots of great boobies out there deserving of videos.

I just found out that Grace Vanderwaal was behind all the harassment.  Like, ALL of it.

Report Post Tip
  1. A chicken once lived for 18 months without a head. Mike the chicken's incredible feat was recorded back in the 1940s in the USA. He survived as his jugular vein and most of his brainstem were left mostly intact, ensuring just enough brain function remained for survival. In the majority of cases, a headless chicken dies in a matter of minutes.
Report Post Tip
A recent random fact I saw on Instagram...

Peter Ostrum who played Charlie in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory still gets royalties of approximately $8-9 per quarter.

That was also his only ever acting role.
Report Post Tip

Whilst the Olympics, the World Cup etc, are supposedly an opportunity for cities to invest in their sporting and other infrastructure, and to turn a profit, the only parties that make money (and alot of it) are the Olympic committee, FIFA etc. The host city routinely loses vast amounts from the event.  

Report Post Tip
Roman Emperor Caligula once declared war on the sea god Neptune and ordered his soldiers to throw spears into the water, as a form of defiance against the deity.
Report Post Tip

Valentine was a follower if Jesus teachings back in around d 270 ad. The Roman emperor at the time believed that men wouldn’t fight so hard in wars if they had wives to worry about getting back to at home. As such he banned marriage. Valentine was caught performing illegal weddings and thrown in a jail. While there he noticed the daughter of the dignitary that owned the jail, was blind. In order to prove his pure heart and the teachings of Jesus (Rome at the time was still largely pagan), he healed the girl’s eyesight. The dignitary spent much time campaigning for Valentine’s release but the emperor was unrelenting and had him executed. There after Vakdntine was Sainted by the Catholic Church. 

Report Post Tip
If you were to tie off both the carotid arteries and jugular veins of dogs, it would have almost no effect on them as they have a back-up blood supply to the brain called the Circle of Willis. Cows share this magical feature too, which is why it is so important to stun them properly prior to slaughter, as otherwise they'd waked up whilst bleeding out!
Report Post Tip

There are almost zero speed cameras on the M40 motorway. Between London and Birmingham you can more or less go as fast as you like. I’ve just driven it at hair raising speeds, completely unmolested. Great fun. 

Report Post Tip

Harry Potter only played like 9 quidditch matches. What a disappointing return on his obvious talent. Wonder if he will amount to anything. 

Report Post Tip

Human skin is around 15% of the body weight, so no Doctor, I am not over weight, I just have too much skin, thus I am skinny. Can't beat that logic nature.

Report Post Tip

l Capone's older brother, James Vincenzo Capone was once a federal prohibition agent.

Its crazy that the two brothers were on opposite side of the law.

Report Post Tip

A lot of people consume fecal matter without knowing like a lot. The number is crazy google it and you will cry. We all just be out here eating shit and not knowing it.

Report Post Tip

Over a period of 200 years, 3 ships perished at the same location off the coast of Wales, all on the same day (5th December) and all 3 had only one survivor, with the same name: Hugh Williams (1664, 1785, 1820). How crazy is that?! Its called the Menai strait and is a very dangerous bit of water with two opposing tides creating strong currents and whirlpools and ferries often capsize, or sink, and lives are frequently lost.

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: A random fact you recently got to know
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL