Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 29 - 14:41:19
Page: [ <<< - << - < ] … 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 … [ > - >>> ]
A random fact you recently got to know Started by: Protea on Apr 13, '21 10:49

A solar eclipse helped end a six-year war in 585 BCE. When the sky suddenly darkened during a battle between the Lydians and the Medes in modern Turkey, soldiers took it as a sign to cease fighting.

They may be famous for their short memory span, but goldfish can tell the difference between Bach and Stravinsky, according to a new study. 

Report Post Tip

I have always found space fascinating, I am not very knowledgeable of space but am always intrigued by it especially when it is put into a little more perspective in its sheer size, for example the speed of which light crosses our solar system and the known universe.

Light can travel to the moon and back to earth in in about 2.5 seconds not bad considering we are about 200,000 miles away from it, light takes about 8 minutes to travel from the sun to earth, so if the sun was to explode then we would have at least another 8 minutes to enjoy being alive.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

On the topic of space, I recently re-read Bill Bryson's A Short History Of Nearly Everything, and in it he describes how incredibly vast and empty our solar system is. Usual depictions of our solar system show the planets orbiting the sun at equal distances from one another, but that's because it would be impossible to show the true scale.

For example, if you scaled the solar system down to where the Earth was a size of a pea, Pluto would be 1.5 miles away!

Apparently, a study was conducted in 1977 on a certain species of cockroach.  This cockroach gives live birth and produces a crystalline substance that researchers lovingly referred to as "milk."  The end result of the study determined that although impractical, cockroach milk could be considered a dairy free alternative that contained more protein than cow's milk. 

Krispy 's reply is so disturbing I almost thought it was fake until i googled it and found out it's totally true. As a roach hater, im absolutely disgusted by the fact people would eat something from inside a cockroach.

Report Post Tip

Now I love spacecakes but this little kitty takes the biscuit!

Félicette, also known as “Astro Cat” was the first and only cat to visit outer space.

Electrodes wired in her brain sent signals of neurological activity back to earth.

Her mission was in 1963 and she made it back safely!

(I copied and pasted this I hope that is acceptable.)

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Jack Horner, who was a expert consultant on the Jurassic Park movies, was so inspired by them that he began a project to reverse-engineer chicken DNA into a living dinosaur (which he named the Chickenosaurus), primarily funded by millions of dollars from Star Wars creator George Lucas. 

*Warning* Boring fact but nonetheless...

Did you know in Singapore, to own a vehicle, you must *purchase a certificate of entitlement* which allows you to use the vehicle for only up to 10 years. This so called certificate right now, cost more than the vehicle itself.

https://m.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/coe_result.php

Example to purchase a 1600cc car, u must pay USD80000 for the 10yrs certificate. And then youre allowed to purchase a car, say another USD80000. Thats USD160000 for a car with a 10yr lifeline!!!! That my friends.. is dailylight robbery... Mafia style...
Report Post Tip

People once ate arsenic to improve their skin. There were also products on the market in the late 19th century, like Dr. James P. Campbell’s 'Safe Arsenic Complexion Wafers' that were meant to be eaten. They claimed to get rid of freckles, blackheads, and other “facial disfigurements.”

Why do I get the feeling that there's still some people around that would try and eat arsenic just to see if it indeed would happen? RIP to them!

Report Post Tip

Did you know that the term "mad as a hatter" comes from the fact that hatters used to rub mercury into the top of the hat to make it water resistant and the fumes and just handling it made them seem mad when really they were slowly dying of mercury poisoning.

Hope no one already posted this I didn't read all the thread    

MaddixCruz clear skin with a side effect of death! Yikes!

Report Post Tip

The eighth power of a number is a zenzizenzizenzic.

Zenzizenzizenzic is an obsolete form of mathematical notation representing the eighth power of a number (that is, the zenzizenzizenzic of x is x8), dating from a time when powers were written out in words rather than as superscript numbers.

Report Post Tip

Boanthropy is the psychological disorder in which patients believe they are a cow.

That means only one thing, moo motherfu**er

Greed will imprison us all. 

Report Post Tip

The world record holder for crushing watermelons between your thighs is a woman named Kortney Olson, who crushed 3 full watermelons in 7.5 seconds. She offers a free 8-week online course on crushing watermelons between your thighs very quickly and it's pretty badass, I crushed 3 (2 big ones and one small one) in about 9 seconds last week so Kortney better watch out. 

Report Post Tip

Arguably, the first fast food restaurants originated in the United States with A&W in 1919 and White Castle in 1921. Today, American-founded fast food chains such as McDonald's and KFC are multinational corporations with outlets across the globe.

Report Post Tip

Ah D0m3n1c, nice to see a fellow "Fast-food Restaurant" wikipedia page enthusiast in the wild

Report Post Tip

Thank you  Stan_S_Stanman ! They are definitely one of the better fast food places. 

Report Post Tip

Russia throughout its history had a lot of revolutions, other than the famous 1917 one, and quite a lot of other failed attemps.

Report Post Tip

Queen Elizabeth reigned for almost a third of the entire history of the United States of America. Genuinely blew my mind how long she reigned.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: A random fact you recently got to know
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL