Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 … [ > - >> - >>> ]
Book Recommendations Started by: Ennio_Morricone on Oct 12, '20 17:10

Personally, I will appreciate any suggestions, but I really do enjoy a good

• thriller - Ken Follett,
  • sci-fi - Dune, or
  • fantasy - Dawn of the Prophecy by David Eddings

Thanks in advance, for sharing

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

Well i was reading afew when i was in jail about the sas heres the names.

Bravo Two Zero

Break Point: SAS: Who Dares Wins Host's Incredible True Story

SAS: Who Dares Wins: Leadership Secrets from the Special Forces

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip
Just a couple days ago the new Nobel prize for literature was appointed. There’s this guy that everyone keeps saying has to win one sooner or later. Haruki Murakami, any of his books will do.

His style his fantastic realism and he normally writes in first person. He also usually writes about our own condition in life. It’s a must read.
Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

any good books ??

Report Post Tip

Depending on people's tastes, I've personally enjoyed all of Charles Bukowski's stuff. All his novels, minus "Pulp," are pretty hilarious and sad in terms of someone's modern experiences. He does a good job conveying a transient life to an audience that most likely haven't experienced it.

I was told my a college professor not to read him because she thought he was a sexist, alcoholic, so I was only pushed towards it. His stuff doesn't seem to come across like that, I think he plays into it for amusement. To each their own. 

I suggest "Ham on Rye" to start off. 

Report Post Tip
I recently read 'Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers'

Really enjoyed it. If you were a fan of the show its a good read
Report Post Tip

This book I've been reading, Grapes of Wraith, is a fictional book about the Great Depression.

Definitely not what your seeking.. 

but have you heard of H.P Lovecraft?

Next book I will be reading is The Call of Cthulhu, so I'll have to get back to you when I come across any Fantasy/Thriller themed books.

Report Post Tip
I'm gonna be honest, my brain doesn't allow me to sit and read, but the few I have read have been awesome, including all Harry Potter xD

Metro 2033 - Russian based but can get in English version, about a post nuclear apocalypse, people living underground and using tunnels to get around. Give it a go.
Report Post Tip
This may be tough for people who hate Ohio State football, but Above the Line by Urban Meyer is a great read if you are a coach or the leader of any organization. The same for Leading from the a heart by Coach K. Great for sports and business.
Report Post Tip

You said Fantasy and Sci Fi so  I recommend "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. Even if you have seen the movie, the book is awesome and like most books, covers far more than the movie could. Also, if you loved the Witcher Series or Video Games, they are based on books, I just got them and so far the first book is really good. If you like more obscure books, I have a list a mile long from awesome writers I have met at Cons (Kimber Gray and James Maxey come to mind first because I just read some of their stuff.)

Report Post Tip

1984 will always be a boo i go bac to often the depth and impotance of the stoy should never be overlooked i still think she was pregnant

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Trainspotting is a lot of fun to read, especially with the dialect. The movie of course is great too, amazing soundtrack. 

Report Post Tip
Catch-22 is a great book; I highly recommend it. It’s about a bunch of WW2 pilots trying to make sense of our absurd world- particularly during war.
Report Post Tip

Im not much of a reader but i do appreciate autobiography books from sportsman.
Therefor i recommend books about athletes.
They do give a great insight in their lives, what they can do and what not.
Im now reading the book about Max Verstappen (the F1 driver) so for my fellow Dutch players i recommend it!

Report Post Tip
Well, not a big reader but here it goes, from 3 different times in History: recommend Mario Puzzo s "Omerta" ; Dostoievski "; crime and ou punishment" and also "Riders of the Purple Sage" from Zane Grey. Also some great fictional stories from word wars too out there...
Report Post Tip

My son raves about Diary of a Wimp Kid, Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid, Beast Quest and Tom gates - he'll read 100 pages in a day. So I guess that's an indirect recommendation!

Fifty Shades of Grey, all books. My wife said they were all good. Maybe thats why I got laid so much lol

Report Post Tip

If you're a Star Wars fan I'd suggest the X-Wing series. It follows Wedge Antilles leading Rogue Squadron and later Wraith Squadron against the remnants of the Empire after the battle of Endor.

It's now considered legends rather than canon but the story lines of the legends books is far better than the new films (I would have much preferred the Yuuzhan Vong war to implausible resurrected Emperor and Sith army).

any book on past wars or history are my go to. I believe history is one of the keys to moving forward in the world 

I would suggest  greek poetry and literature.

Some of my favourites are written by:

Kazantzakis

Palamas

Kavafis

Vrettakos

Papadiamantis

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Book Recommendations
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL